What size screws to attach 50X50 batten to solid wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, what sized screws would you use to attach 50X50 wooden batten to a wall?

I was thinking 5X70 or 5X80, but not sure of what size to use. I was planning on using red rawl plugs but unsure if 20-30mm of screw + rawlplug would be enough to hold the batten to the wall.

The battens are being used to attach 50mm celotex between, 30mm celotex +12.5mm plasterboard over.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/19356/Fixings/Frame-Fixings/Frame-Fixings-8-x-100mm-Pack-of-10
Ouch! I was goping to get bags of 100s! I am not building a frame, simply screwing the support battens to the wall, and I have a LOT of them (roughly 30 at 600mm centres for the plasterboard edges. They are 2.4m long.

Is there no way of using something like a goldscrew into a rawl plug, say 80-90mm? what screw spacing do I need to use on the battens?

You can get them by the hundred if you look around..

Could also use cheaper hammer fixings, much the same result: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scr...gs/Hammer+Fixing+8+x+100+mm/d90/sd1950/p88933

600mm spacing for frame fixings should be quite sufficient if your battens are straight, and much, much easier than screwing and plugging. Just drill, quick countersink, push in and drive/hammer. You can certainly go with screws and plugs if you want to save about a pound per hundred..

Sponsored Links
I too will be wishing to screw loads of 50mm2 battens to a 1/2 brick thick wall later this year. I was planning to use gold screws in plugs hoping the holes I dill in he brick line up with my batten. Perhaps I would make up a 2.4m long drill template out of half inch thick hardwood?

I was going to have the screws at 400mm centres. So as the OP asked, what size gold screws and plugs to use?

Perhaps I might first consder trying for size 5.0 x 70 gold screw with plug: [8mm dril size - screw 4.4-6 screwfix code 18234] and dril the batten 20mm deep clearence so the screw goes into the brick by 35mm?

EDIT I saw the toolstation post above after I started writing this post. I will look into the hammer fix suggestion also

You can do just about anything you like as long as you get an inch or two into a plug, but you're just making work for yourself.

Making templates, pre-drilling, screw digging.. it's just time wasted when an SDS+, a cordless drill with a countersink, and a lump hammer can do it all in situ.

just to confuse you i use concrete screws, no plugs needed. They are quick but more importanly for battening they are easy to nudge in or out when trying to pack out uneven walls.

Or if they are pretty flatish you can use express anchors, no driver needed just a heavy hammer.

100mm/6's with brown plugs and 7mm sds bit.

Conk screws are ok too, but i would advise using a 'robust' cordless impact drill. :p

100mm/6's with brown plugs and 7mm sds bit.

Is 50mm into a brick with a 6mm screw deeper than needed? The cost of the screws on this project is rising...

As before, 8x100mm hammer fixings: http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scr...gs/Hammer+Fixing+8+x+100+mm/d90/sd1950/p88933

Eight quid gets you a hundred, at four per 2.4m batten that's 25 battens, at 600mm spacing that's 15m or so of wall covered. I'm not seeing any great expense.

Thanks for that Monkeh. I am more of an armchair DIYer these days (although I will be tackling a large project this year whether I like it or not) - by that I mean I enjoy watching others do DIY :LOL:

But I do have a nagging vague memory many years ago when I last tried frame/hammer fixings of them somtimes going tight at the screw but having not really pulled the wood firmly to the brickwork. Has anyone else encountered this effect?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back