Internal solid wall celotex installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm attempting to work out the best way to fit celotex internal wall insulation into a building that is being converted for use as a "reptile room" (lizards/snakes etc in cages).

The building is an old farm outbuilding with 3 wooden doors, 2 of which will be screwed shut. The walls are double thickness solid brick and are quite uneven on the inside. Because of this unevenness I plan to build a stud wall from battens and mount the celotex onto these, then plasterboard on top.

So the wall would be as follows:

~200mm solid brick
Damp-proof membrane
38mm timber battens
100mm celotex GA4000
12.5mm plasterboard

Is this correct? If so, how do I mount the plasterboard/celotex to the battens? I had intended to use drywall screws through both into the wood, but I can't find any longer than 100mm (would need 140mm I guess); can I just use normal screws like these?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
I'd use 50mm battens with 50mm celotex in-between them, then another 50mm of celotex on top of all of that with the plasterboard then just screwed through the top layer of celotex into the battens. Or you could swap the top layer of celotex and the plasterboard for insulated plasterboard which would cost a little more but makes life easier.

Would you not be better treating the job as making a timber frame inside the existing walls? Using 100mm x 50mm to make a free standing framework which can then be fixed to the existing brick work with galvanised angle brackets. Then the celotex fits inside the framing and plasterboard is fixed to the frame in the standard way. Obviously the timber would cost rather more but you would have a building standard solution and the expense would not be a massive increase given the job anyway.
just a thought.
:)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies guys :)

@TheVictorian - Unfortunately I've already got the wood and the celotex is due to be delivered soon! Plus, the plans approved by building regs included the air gap and I don't want to stray too far from these. The building will be visited by the public so they are quite strict!

@elmsoft - the idea with mounting it on the front of the battens was to prevent cold bridging through the timber - as far as I know putting it between would drastically reduce the effectiveness. Plus as I say I've already got the wood.

One other point - the loss of room area is not important; the room is already bigger than it needs to be

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back