Battens around window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've internally insulated my garage conversion using Celotex GA4000. I 've followed the celotex instructions to the letter. So i installed ga4000 boards then i've installed wooden battens on top of the celotex, round the edge and vertically ready for the plasterboard. My only problem i need to solve is fixing a batten across the top of the window.

Initially i thought i could just fix it either end of the lintel but i need some support in the middle of the batten to keep the celotex in place but i would be screwing into a lintel. Does anyone have any ideas on the best method to fix the batten into the lintel. I'm currently using 160mm frame fixings to screw through the batten then the celotex and into the wall, but don't think they will work in lintels.

Sponsored Links
you either need to scale up your timber so that it is strong enough to not bend or the better option if possible is to also place a batten vertically at the centre of the opening and put your fixings in it above the lintel. You can then screw through your horizontal batten over the window into the vertical batten.

Hmmm re-reading that it is a little confusing, imagine forming an inverted T with the hoizontal section being the batten across the head of the window.

Sorry for the delay, thanks for the reply. I like your suggestion. Then i got thinking, does any one think this would work - if i used a spring toggle fixing into the lintel as effectivly the linel is hollow (this is my lintel http://www.catnic.com/lintels/CN71A.aspx)

Could anyone see any issues with this?

Sponsored Links
you'll be surprised how hard they are to drill. It'd be quicker to use the inverted t method than to try and drill it etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back