Dual fuel towel rail stopped working - advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a dual fuel towel rail in our upstairs bathroom. Last winter (when we moved into the house) it happily ran off the central heating. During the summer months when CH was off, we would occasionally use the switch (which lives in our bedroom for some reason) to use the electric heating element. Now that winters here again and the CH thermostat has been turning the rads on, we obviously want the towel radiator to use the CH. Both the flow and return valves are fully open but the towel rad just won't get hot. All the other upstairs rads are fine and heating up nicely.

I also can't hear any water running into the towel rad when I open the flow valve. Has it bunged up some how? Any ideas?

If we (and by we I mean my OH) accidentally used the electric element while the valves were open rather than shut, could that have somehow caused the problem? I know you're not supposed to do this but not sure why, other than inefficiency as the element would be trying to heat an open system rather than a single rad.

Sponsored Links
We have a dual fuel towel rail in our upstairs bathroom. Last winter (when we moved into the house) it happily ran off the central heating. During the summer months when CH was off, we would occasionally use the switch (which lives in our bedroom for some reason) to use the electric heating element. Now that winters here again and the CH thermostat has been turning the rads on, we obviously want the towel radiator to use the CH. Both the flow and return valves are fully open but the towel rad just won't get hot. All the other upstairs rads are fine and heating up nicely.

I also can't hear any water running into the towel rad when I open the flow valve. Has it bunged up some how? Any ideas?

If we (and by we I mean my OH) accidentally used the electric element while the valves were open rather than shut, could that have somehow caused the problem? I know you're not supposed to do this but not sure why, other than inefficiency as the element would be trying to heat an open system rather than a single rad.

Have you bled the TR?? With it being tall they natorisly gather air.......💡💡

Not yet - think that'll be top of my list of things to try tomorrow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back