Dubiously guessing blocking these attic vents will be ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking for advice.
We live in a converted farm Steading, built in 1830 with solid stone walls measuring 450-600mm with a pitched slate roof.

In the attic space there is an air gap between where the wall stops, roof rafters meet the wall and ceiling joists all come together.

This air gap in places is 2-3 inches wide (easily see daylight).
I would love to block up these air gaps not only for insulation reasons but I've get multiple wasps nests in the summer and continually get mice in the winter due to these gaps.

My understanding is that these air gaps are needed for roof ventilation. and should probably use a mesh over these gaps to prevent the pests but I was wondering about blocking these gaps completely with mineral wool or even expanding foam :eek:!!

At the same time I'm looking at upgrading my blanket loft insulation.

Our roof construction consists of slates nailed straight onto sarking boards (no liner inside or out) with gaps between very old sarking board so I'm dubiously speculating that these gaps would be enough to keep the roof space ventilated, condensation and damp free, or is this a terrible idea? Is there anything I could do safely to reduce the air flow and prevent the pests gaining entry?

Many thanks and looking forward to hearing from you all.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back