Dulux brilliant white - cream

Don't think it's the decorators fault, or the OP who bought the paint, although either of those folk checking would've stopped it. Sounds likely that dulux knew the paint wasn't correct and I'd talk to dulux again before going to small claims. Didn't dulux have to pay out a lot of money when their oil-based paints started yellowing? They admitted their fault in that.

the yellowing paint was the result of the 2010 VOC compliance. Paint makers were directed to reduce the levels of solvents in their oil based paints. I am not sure that the Dulux paints were worse than other brands. I suspect that as the highest profile firm, they took the most flack.

The irony is that if a client tells me they want a non yellowing white paint, I am now more likely to use acid cat, which has much, much higher VOC levels than the old oil based paints

Sponsored Links
Don't think it's the decorators fault, or the OP who bought the paint, although either of those folk checking would've stopped it. Sounds likely that dulux knew the paint wasn't correct and I'd talk to dulux again before going to small claims. Didn't dulux have to pay out a lot of money when their oil-based paints started yellowing? They admitted their fault in that.

the yellowing paint was the result of the 2010 VOC compliance. Paint makers were directed to reduce the levels of solvents in their oil based paints. I am not sure that the Dulux paints were worse than other brands. I suspect that as the highest profile firm, they took the most flack.

The irony is that if a client tells me they want a non yellowing white paint, I am now more likely to use acid cat, which has much, much higher VOC levels than the old oil based paints
Yeah, I know why over the oil based - but I think Dulux got into trouble coz they said best ever white formula or something on the advertising/tin, whereas I think am correct in remembering that Crown wrote that it may yellow in time on theirs. I have a feeling that's also why the got a lot of flack.
Anyway, my point is that if dulux are aware that the paint used by the OP wasn't up to standard (and it sounds like they did know) then it's the same as the oil - they were aware then too! And paid out...

Yeah, I know why over the oil based - but I think Dulux got into trouble coz they said best ever white formula or something on the advertising/tin, whereas I think am correct in remembering that Crown wrote that it may yellow in time on theirs. I have a feeling that's also why the got a lot of flack.
Anyway, my point is that if dulux are aware that the paint used by the OP wasn't up to standard (and it sounds like they did know) then it's the same as the oil - they were aware then too! And paid out...

Fair enough you have some valid points.

I don't recall Dulux making unsubstantiated claims though. IIRC they were the only firm that actively participated in this forum back in 2010.

I have known clients in the past who stuck by their guns when a Dulux paint has been faulty. Dulux have paid for a Dulux approved decorator to redo the work for free..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back