Dulux Problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have painted a considerable area of our property with Dulux so-called, Pure Brilliant White, Oil-Based, Eggshell Paint that has turned yellow in a short space of time.

I am going to have to re-paint all the areas, but don't know whether to over paint it with oil-based satinwood, which apparently has the same problem, or if I can use water-based, which they say does not.

But can I paint water-based satinwood over the oil-based eggshell?
any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can go over the OB eggshell with a water based, I'd go with the Johnstones satin. Good preparation is important, you need to rub down the eggshell well, it must be thoroughly dry to do this. To alleviate the risk of premature yellowing its best to avoid oil based entirely from any manufacturer.

Yes you can go over the OB eggshell with a water based, I'd go with the Johnstones satin. Good preparation is important, you need to rub down the eggshell well, it must be thoroughly dry to do this. To alleviate the risk of premature yellowing its best to avoid oil based entirely from any manufacturer.

I was worried you were going to say that.

Quite a lot of doors and door frames that need doing and not the easiest things to rub down, but looks like the only option if going to water -based white.

What would happen if you did use water-based? and is there no longer any oil-based white that stays white???
thanks for your help.

Sorry, i'm not quite sure what you mean by 'what would happen if you did use WB?".

The OB is hit and miss, like i said to guarantee against premature yellowing you have to use WB'd, i couldn't give you a brand name with any confidence that it won't yellow. I only use OB on exteriors now.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, i'm not quite sure what you mean by 'what would happen if you did use WB?".

The OB is hit and miss, like i said to guarantee against premature yellowing you have to use WB'd, i couldn't give you a brand name with any confidence that it won't yellow. I only use OB on exteriors now.

Sorry I was trying to say if you put WB on OB would it eventually peel off or crack?

What if I put wood primer/undercoat on the OB could I then put the WB on?
Sorry to be a pain.
thanks

Dulux had a problem with their oil based paint a few years ago, in that it yellowed very quickly.

They have now admitted this publicly and will even compensate, they have also fixed the problem.

Saying that, all oil based paint will yellow if not subject to uv light, when's the last time you saw a yellow external white painted window? Also inside your cupboard doors goes yellow.

As long as you give the eggshell a good rub down you won't have problems, it won't crack or flake or cause any problems. Any WB paint over oil based needs good prep, you could use zinnser 123 as a bridging primer because its a high grip paint, a normal WB primer or undercoat would still need good prep, whereas the 123 you could get away with less extensive prep, you could experiment on a frame, bring it to a finish and after a couple of days see if it scrapes easily with a finger nail, yes - you know you'll have to prep it well, no - you can save yourself a bit of work.

Water based is very difficult to use if you aren't used to it. You will also have to use an electric sander to key the eggshell to get decent results.

As long as you give the eggshell a good rub down you won't have problems, it won't crack or flake or cause any problems. Any WB paint over oil based needs good prep, you could use zinnser 123 as a bridging primer because its a high grip paint, a normal WB primer or undercoat would still need good prep, whereas the 123 you could get away with less extensive prep, you could experiment on a frame, bring it to a finish and after a couple of days see if it scrapes easily with a finger nail, yes - you know you'll have to prep it well, no - you can save yourself a bit of work.

Hi DC
Thanks for the follow up, will look up the 123 as never heard of it. But don't think this will be an easy fix, unless all you guys who have responded come on down and have a sanding weekend some time soon.
Thanks again for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back