Durability of Polycarbonite Greenhouses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

Every year I take it up a a step when it comes to having a greenhouse/cold frame etc solution.

The first year was one of those plastic 4x6 greenhouses with thin tubing - Worked a treat for a month or two until a big gust of wind flipped it several times, bending it completely.

Second year was low profile (but fairly cheap) cold frames from Lidl - Almost lasted the whole season before the wind killed them.

I am now considering a larger investment of a Polycarbonite Greenhouse ( like this)

How durable are these?

Is real glass the only solution?

I would spend the extra on the glass but the shipping is what kills me (Im in ROI).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm coming to terms with that reality :)

I have found a place that has the option for polycarbonite or toughened glass and I can get them to ship up to someone I know in the North.

They are a reseller of "Simplicity" Greenhouses (Looking at the Stafford or Classic)

Anyone have any experience with that brand? Looks far more durable (plus the glass) and is prob a good investment at around £150 more than the cheap poly version.

just make sure its fixed down, i use concrete blocks as a base and screw it to the blocks. no need for the toughened glass, greenhouse glass is fine.

Sponsored Links
How breakable is horticultural glass? Would an errant football easily shatter it?

With a 15 month old ended up going with the toughened. Really glad I went with a higher quality greenhouse - Was wondering around B&Q and a local garden center at the weekend - both had the cheaper poly greenhouses on display.

Was a windy day and the panels were coming out of the displays (Plus the overall construction was a bit cheap).

Went with a Green Vitavia Venus (6x6) - Can't wait until it arrives.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back