Durapost on brick wall. Any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a retaining wall with a small
Amount of overspill of coming from the top . I got some quotes for a new fence. My aim is to get something solid with no overspill of dirt from
Other side.

He recommended concrete sleepers which he will mortar onto brickwork with duraposts bolted in brick work? There will also be a 5ft fence. Will it be secure you think?

Attachments

• IMG_6440.jpeg
    IMG_6440.jpeg
    508.5 KB · Views: 30
Sponsored Links
Not clear what you mean but assuming the "sleeper" goes on top of the wall and the new panels on top of that it might work. Taking the wall down and putting in a double gravel board slotted into concrete posts with fence panel above might work - and look - better especially as there seems to be a retaining element to the existing wall.

Not clear what you mean but assuming the "sleeper" goes on top of the wall and the new panels on top of that it might work. Taking the wall down and putting in a double gravel board slotted into concrete posts with fence panel above might work - and look - better especially as there seems to be a retaining element to the existing wall.
Ripping wall out and putting concrete sleepers would be too much work. But was advised to put concrete sleepers on wall

Who does the wall and fence belong to, and who does the ground on the other side belong to?

Is the ground on the other side getting higher for some reason, since the retaining wall was built?

If you bolt a post to a wall, the post acts as a strong lever pushing the wall over.

Sponsored Links
Wooden posts bolted to a brick base via duraposts doesn't sound secure against wind force

Who does the wall and fence belong to, and who does the ground on the other side belong to?

Is the ground on the other side getting higher for some reason, since the retaining wall was built?

If you bolt a post to a wall, the post acts as a strong lever pushing the wall over.
I believe we own wall. Otherwise is a corner house neighbour. The bricks on retaining wall match the ones we have on house.

I can’t tell you exactly but I suspect ground may be over spilling since wall was built

Unless someone is shovelling earth against the wall, or it is sliding downhill, you could dig the excess out and dispose of it.

So i had a fencer come and he said we could mount godfathers on neighbours side and he could put timber to make fence sit on fence. Neighbour didn’t want concrete godfathers on his land. So it’s turning a bit petty now. Now his moaning about privacy as the fence is down. Basically his raised ground level and poor draining means timber won’t work. Itnwil rot quickly and I’m not prepared for a solution like this. He said he will think about it and get to me

Now his moaning about privacy as the fence is down.

That's good.

You are under no legal obligation to provide a fence. If you have animals that must be kept in you can put up wire netting if you want.

Why is earth spilling over the wall? Has it been shovelled there? Or is it sliding downhill?

Alidi
That's good.

You are under no legal obligation to provide a fence. If you have animals that must be kept in you can put up wire netting if you want.

Why is earth spilling over the wall? Has it been shovelled there? Or is it sliding downhill?
Sliding downhill

If the earth is moving so will the fence.

I suppose you could use concrete cribs to hold it back.

Is the earth bank drained? If it holds water it will be heavier, and lubricated so unstable and slide more.

If the earth is moving so will the fence.

I suppose you could use concrete cribs to hold it back.

Is the earth bank drained? If it holds water it will be heavier, and lubricated so unstable and slide more.
He said he will talk to me again about the fence. Let’s see he refuses concrete bollards. At present it’s wooden posts which are half embedded into concrete and half their ground with 2.7crntres. What are other options? Given he still may refuse any support on his land. I would like some sort of sleepers

If you loose-lay sleepers or blocks, they will eventually be pushed over but you can dig them out and re-lay them.

It seems to me you need something heavy (not rigid) leaning against the earth bank to hold it back.

A concrete retaining wall, with a horizontal toe under the bank, would either at greater cost.

If you had a gappy wall, you could let earth push through it, and shovel it away.

A neighbour had a brick wall that kept being cracked and pushed over by a large tree. They rebuilt the wall with a gap round the tree and assembled the bricks loose laid like a drystone wall. It looks OK and they rebuild it occasionally. It is only a couple of feet tall. Another neighbour has a drystone wall made of broken paving slabs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back