DVD Wide screen - options ?

You're absolutely right. 16:9 was used for Cine as it's the ratio at how we see, but when 16:9 was consumerised fewer people went to the cinema which is how 22:9 came about. I can't see us changing to 22:9 TV though.

I use a projector (below) for watching films (and for playing the X-Box on) as it projects only the picture being watched. ;)

http://www.vectra-sport.com/uploads/P1000050.JPG

Sponsored Links
BJ,

Sorry for not following up my earlier advice sooner but my 'puter has been down (grr)!

Most (if not all) widescreen TVs have a button to switch between various options, as I mentioned before my Philips is by no means a top-end set but I have the following : Widescreen, 4:3, Zoom 14:9, Zoom 16:9, Subtitle Zoom, Super Wide.

The "Super Wide" setting on mine is a "smart" setting, it optimizes itself for whatever you are watching. I find that with terrestrial broadcasts I get no black bars (either top/bottom or side/side) and the picture is in proportion. I seem to recall that even my friend's Goodmans set has a similar option, but bear in mind what I said before about getting what you pay for (his picture quality leaves much to be desired).

I can only assume that the sets you saw in-store were on the default setting rather than the "intelligent", just checked on mine and it does indeed give black bars top and bottom. This is entirely user-correctable.

I stand by what I said before - get a widescreen, the varying transmission standards that are causing the current confusion will all be standardized when analogue terrestrial ceases in a few years time. As I said, I argued till I was blue in the face that I didn't want to get rid of my "square" telly, but now I have, I wouldn't go back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back