earth bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we are having a new bathroom
the plumber has no electrical knowledge
is he responsible for earthing the system ?
i know all the copper pipes need cross bonding to earth
can i run the earth cable to the earth of the shower cable or
does the earth wire have to be a seperate wire back to yhe consumer unit

Sponsored Links
Mike, the initial Earth for any set of pipes should come from the nearest electrical accessory, in your case this could well be the shower, and if that is the case then you are correct that you can run the appropriate sized earth from here.

You do not need to take it back to your consumer unit, however you do need to bond across any compression joints that might exist, soldered joints are fine though.

Regarding the Plumber, unless he is Part P registered to self certify any electrical work he undertakes (Usaually for heating systems etc) then he will not be responsible for the supplementary bonding, and from your comment about him I would assume he is not Part P registered.

Sponsored Links
there is a nice explanatory leaflet referenced in the 'sticky for reference section' this has nicer pictures than I can describe.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back