Easily broken tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 1910 house has roof tiles that have a sandy surface texture and seem to be very brittle. I tried to place a roof ladder to inspect/repair the surface but when wheeled up by pushing from the gutter level it lead to half a tile breaking off and slipping down so i gave up. Any ideas how i can get up there for maintenance etc.? - thanks

Sponsored Links
working off a cat ladder is at best, a little dodgy, if your not used to it.

a scaffold platform would be best, but most expensive.

if your ground conditions allow then an ally tower is ok and affordable.

once up at the eaves, you can remove four or five tiles, enough to put your right foot on the lathes.
then remove another lot, a bit further up, and to the left, and place your left foot. remove some more higher to the right, and so on.

continue up the roof to the ridge. you now have "steps" up the roof to allow you to work on the problem areas.

if the lathes and nails are old and worn, try and remove tiles directly above the rafters.

Cherry picker....then you don`t touch the roof at all.....sounds like they`ve had it if they break that easily :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back