Easyfill as plaster top coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Regular visitors to this forum may have heard previous concerns about our builders! Next installment is below, if anyone has any advice I would be very grateful!

When the walls of our house were initially plastered, the builders decided to apply Easyfill as a top coat. This was something we only found out when they were about 80% through. Great.

Since then, 2 huge areas that they also rendered have cracked everywhere and they are having to remove it all and do it properly. We have asked them not to use Easyfill on anything else but they are saying they have to otherwise the new plaster won't bond.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Is there anything that can be done to avoid any more Easyfill? They are hanging on by a thread so this is really so that I have an argument for them about their complete lack of skill rather than being a solution for them to follow. If of course you think I am being unfair then let me know, I'm happy to hear any advice at this point in time...

Cheers

Sponsored Links
bunch of fooking idiots. get rid of them and don't pay them any more money. report them to trading standards.

easyfil is meant for filling the joints on boards and as a repair / patching filler as it's lovely to sand.

if they're using it instead of multi finish then it's costing you 6 times more in materials

I do recollect your post as being one I previously posted about a chimney removal & other work blighted by imigrant labour. I agree with Stech that they appear to be total vankers; get rid, don’t pay & get someone in who actullay knows what they are doing. Are you sure they are actually using Easyfill? If so, what they are telling you is total carp! It seems that not only do they not know how to apply a render base properly (& I’m by no means an expert), Easyfill is for filling board joints when “dry lining” using taper edge boards, it’s not a suitble bonding base or finish coat. It’s very soft (a bit like plastering with Pollyfiller) & is easy to sand but will not give a hard wearing & long lasting finish coat. It will cause all sorts of problems in the future, least of all will be trying to remove any paper applied over it. They are only using the stuff cos they can’t plaster & they don’t seem to know much else either!

If you need more technical amunition, just log onto the British Gypsum web site. It’s packed full of user & technical guidance notes regarding the use & suitability of products, more than enough to shoot them down in flames!

Easy fill is for fine filling little scratches and knocks once the plaster has had a mist coat of paint, any chance of a pic?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for confirming that I'm not going completely mad!

As of last night they have been booted off the job for good. They've had plenty of opportunity to right the many, many wrongs they've inflicted on our poor house and it has got slightly ridiculous.

I will however post a couple of pics up here later so you can see what 8.5 weeks of their "skill" has produced.

Cheers for all your comments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back