eave hatch, what can i cut?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

I have a modern (9year old) house, with a room at the top (gable) in the pitch.
in this room there is some wasted space into the eve voids
i have an ideal spot (hidden in a cupboard) for fitting a wall hatch on one side

however on hacking out a good hole i've found 2 obstructions

1. what appears to be a wooden vertical hanger directly behind the plasterboard, appears to be part of the roof truss, with nail plates at each end, 3x2

2. a diagonal brace (2 identical timbers layered) running from floor (gable end) of top room diagonally toward middle center of room)

ideally i'd like to cut both of these timbers, thoughts? I can easily reinforce point 1 above, and there's little weight bearing at the room at this point because it's still under 1.5m height in the room, so can't get much there even if wanted.

is the diagonal brace that i'm most worried about.

welcome thoughts and ideas please
Pete

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert but trussed roofs are not to be messed with. My advice would be leave well alone.

The diagonal braces are the wind braces,keeping the trusses locked in an upright position,especially before the roof is felted and battened and the gables built.If the portion of brace is removed from an area but solid nogged on the flat in the same line between the trusses till it connects to the wind brace by at least 600mm i cant see a problem with.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back