reinforcing for a loft hatch - questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I've been browsing this forum for a while, but this is my first time posting.

I have a 1930's house with a huge loft which is currently not boarded in any way.

The existing loft hatch is tiny and right in the gables, so essentially un-usable. I am planning to put a new loft hatch/ladder set in, reinfice the floor, board the floor and then finally I might be able to move some of my junk up there.

I understand the basics of how to do this - reinforce the joists either side of the cut, double thickness cross braces, use joist hangers etc - there have been some good write-ups on this. However, I have a few questions.

1) When I double up the existing joists, am I right in thinking I reinforce the entire length of the joist? I know that it needs nuts and bolts through both joists, rather than just tacking it with screws, but I have not seen any mention of how many bolts should go in. Some write-ups have used 4 or 6 for the entire length, where as others have used 1 bolt every two foot.

2) Is there a specific grade of timber that I should be using for these joist reinforcements? I.e is regular wood acceptable, or should it be engineered joists?

Also - are there any guidelines for the sizes of the reinforcement beams? The existing joists are 8x2, so if I use a second 8x2, is that sufficient, or should I use something like 8x4?

3) Same for the cross joists where I cut the original joist - any recommendations for timber and dimensions?

4) I am not planning on keeping anything hugely heavy in the loft, but I will be filled with household junk. Is it worth me thinking about adding additional joist supports as well - either reinforcing the existing joists or adding noggins between the joists?

Many thanks indeed.

Steve

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back