Loft hatch installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm after some advice regarding a loft hatch system that I have sitting in my loft, ready to install.

According to the installation instructions (http://www.abru.co.uk/pdfs/abru-timber-complete-loft-access-kit-brown-painted.pdf) , this would normally be a reasonably simple job by cutting through the ceiling joists etc. I have concerns though regarding the effect cutting through a particular joist would have on the roof structure. I have a semi-detached property with a hip roof. A strut running down from the purlin along the back of the house meets the ceiling joist that I would need to cut through (see attached photo's). The way I look at it is that the stress not only is transmitted downwards through the load-bearing wall which the strut lands onto, but also horizontally through the joist. Could somebody tell me if this is likely to be the case and should I have any concerns cutting this joist?

I should also state that a previous owner had reinforced floor joists installed in part of the loft space in preparation for a conversion for which planning permission was turned down for. The water tank in the photo's is not connected so will be removed and will not get in the way.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

View media item 46583
View media item 46582
Hopefully the images have uploaded correctly!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back