Cutting loft joists for hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies for the similarity of this question to a very recent one on here, but i wanted to check viability with regards to my specific situation.

1989 built bungalow with prefabricated roof trusses. I've had quotes to get our central heating system converted to an unvented with new pressurised cylinder in the loft. However, the loft hatch isnt big enough to get it through (its just a hole in the plasterboard between 2 joists - about 50mm too small). A larger loft hatch would solve the issue and at the same time improve access to the loft for storage.

Due to it's position, id need to cut a single joist out in order to get it big enough.

Have contacted a builder and he said it might need some sort of load calculations done to see if we need reinforcement. However, i just wanted to check before I go down that route as i not convinced. Also wondered if it's a job I can DIY (im competent with most jobs).

The joist id need to cut would be the one in the middle of the second photo.

IMG_7550.JPG
IMG_7548.JPG
IMG_7549.JPG

Would be be ok to cut out 600mm from this joist and then build up the frame for the new hatch?

Regards

Mark

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back