ECB

W

whitenoflight

Crap at football, union and it looks like cricket. The later, I was watching the Ceylon game here in Languedoc and heard and saw the pitiful crowd in Leeds on a lovely sunny day. King Beefy made a comment about this and the plans to spend millions on redevelopment and whether it was worth it. This combined with there being 10 venues instead of the good ole 6. Why is there the need for these extra venues.

Sponsored Links
I think money would be best spent at the grass roots and coaching of the young and up and coming players, rather than the venues.

The reason they need to spend millions at Headingley is to ensure continued test match status. The ground has provided a suitable home for what is still the best county club (Yorkshire still have more county championships to their name than any other county by a wide margin), but someone somewhere has decided that in order to qualify for hosting test matches these days a ground has to have a certain number of specific facilities.

I do agree that the relatively low attendance at this match is disappointing. Yorkshire always used to have a very keen army of supporters but, for some reason, they've not been coming to this match.

I also agree that we should go back to the six traditional venues: two in the North, two in the Midlands and two in London. That seems a fair spread and provides somewhere to go within a reasonable travelling distance for most people. We could, of course, make use of every county ground but that would dilute things too much and mean that each ground would host test matches much more rarely.

I thought this thread was going to be an interesting discussion about the European Central Bank :cry:

Sponsored Links
I think the crowd would have been much larger if England had been playing Pakistan at Headingley. There would have been loads of local support for the opposition. ;) ;)

I think the crowd would have been much larger if England had been playing Pakistan at Headingley. There would have been loads of local support for the opposition. ;) ;)

You're right. Bradford's only 20 minutes away.

Back