Ecomax Pro 28E

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vaillant EcoMax Pro 28E boiler and have no hot water at the moment. System was installed a year ago. We recently had some building work done and a few rads were removed. One pipe was not sealed properly and leaked. System lost pressure and boiler diplayed error message (5). I sealed the pipe, re-pressurised the system and reset the pressure switch (red switch) in the boiler itself. The boiler now comes on and works. Displays green light and looks like it is working okay - but the hot water is only luke warm. The boiler fires up but only for a few minutes. Can anyone help.

This is my first post here - so hope format is okay.
Regards
Batts[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Nothing particularly obvious springs to mind. You should have a 2 year guarantee - call vaillant.

Bit confused here :confused: The Ecomax Pro is not a system boiler, it is open vent. Did you have an expansion vessel fitted to make it a sealed system?

The red button you describe, if its the one top left in the boiler it is an overheat cut out.

Are you sure you don't mean an ecotec pro 28 combi?

If it is an ecomax pro then the hot wate problem could be an external control valve or air lock and the pro would need the pump left on '3' whatever system you have.

Please post back clafirying if it is a ecomax pro or ecotec pro 28 combi. If it is the combi then you would only have had a 12 month warranty.

Dave - as you can probably tell my knowledge of boilers etc is virtually non existent, so i'm out of my depth here. I do know that i have an expansion tank and it is a sealed system. It's definitely an Ecomax pro28e boiler.

Sponsored Links
Right then. F5 is an overheat fault as born out by you reseting the red button. If it had all worked well before the leak then I assume the pump has been wired correctly to the boiler. This boiler controls the pump.

First thing I would check now is that the pump is working and hasn't stuck.

Next would be to try to bleed the circuit, theres probably an air bleed next to the hw cylinder in the airing cupboard. The boiler is overheating due to lack of flow through it, or water in it :eek:

This boiler does not have any sensors that will detect low pressure only.

Thanks very much Dave. Yes all was working well prior to leak. I'll try bleeding the circuit tonight. I bled the rads last night. SHould i bleed the pump too then? Or will there be a separate air bleed next to tank? Any idea what it would look like?

Many thanks again
Paul

Yes , try bleeding the pump and at the same time put a flat bladed screwdiver in and see if you can turn it or free it.

The air bleed near the cylinder is usually off the flow (top pipe) to the indirect inlet of the cyl after the zone valve/s

Oh and don't forget, these boilers often need to have the pump set on 3, otherwise they can generate the F27 fault code.

Dave - just wanted to day thanks for your advice. It's all working fine now. I had to turn on both the central heating and hot water for it all to kick in. It didn't work with just the hot water on. But it's running fine now.
Much appreciated.

Cheers
Paul

It should work to provide hot water without heating needing to be on.

I suspect there may still be some fault.

Tony

As Tony says, if you mean you are still having problems then I would suspect you 3 port valve head or DHW 2 port valve head is faulty and would need replacing.

Thanks fellas. I turned off the Central Heating once it had started and it still seems to be working. Haven't had any problems since. I'll keep an eye on it.
On a slightly separate note i was considering signing up to one of these British Gas boiler/central heating breakdown packages which include annual services - any thoughts on these?

My opinion is don't bother. You won't get an annual service, just a safety check. Put the same money aside and keep it incase something goes wrong. Your boiler is pretty reliable.

Has it had the new graphite burner seal fitted?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back