EcoTec Plus 831 WarmStart Function - Power Usage Numpty

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly I apologise for being very stupid. Note to self read the manual, then read the manual properly the second time.

I never really noticed this during the winter but all Summer (I am a light sleeper) with the electronic remote thermostat turned down to a minimum (and then off completely) with the on board thermostat for the central heating also turned to summer mode, i.e. all the way to the left. The boiler kept turning it self on every 20 minutes or so as if it keeps recycling or keeps reheating itself for some reason.

Quick check of this forum and manual again led to the Hot Water Warmstart function, which I have turned off. I've been sitting here for the last 50 minutes waiting for the boiler to turn itself on, so far, fingers crossed, that's stopped it.

We recently got our quarterly energy bill from our supplier which was a little bit of a shock as it was exceptionally high. At that point I bought an online realtime energy meter to keep checking our usage as something was not right in our house. In doing so I noticed that the energy usage of the boiler in electricity terms is nominal (2-4 watts) when it's not doing anything, but when this recycling event happens (all throughout the day and night every 20-40 minutes) it's using gas and a higher amount of electricity.

With the warm start "feature" this was defeating the purpose of having the energy efficient boiler in the first place!

Now that's stopped the only energy usage at night is the energy meter uploading it's data, the house security system and our outside security lights (energy saving lightbulbs) turning on when our neighbours 6 cats come to crap in our garden, one at a time, from 1am - 5am.

Just thought I'd share.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back