Edwardo's Injury; Am I Missing Something?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday, in the first few minutes of the match between Birmingham and Arsenal, Edwardo (Arsenal) was subjected to a brutal assault by Taylor (Birmingham), which resulted in Edwardo's ankle breaking. The incident was later shown on Match of the Day and the TV pundits (Hanson and Lawrenson) agreed that Taylor was beaten by the speed of Edwardo and that Taylor didn't intend to hurt Edwardo.

Well, I don't know how they can say that. Taylor's boot initially came onto Edwardo's leg half-way up his shin. No genuine attempt to tackle ever starts with a boot halfway up the opponent's shin. Taylor was making his presence known to Edwardo. Edwardo's foot was firmly planted on the ground and Talor's momentum caused the weakest part of Edwardo's leg to give way: his ankle.

Disgraceful.

Sponsored Links
I think Lawrenson and Hanson have been there, done that, long enough to know what they are talking about. Going 'over the top' was around in my dad's day.

Yesterday, in the first few minutes of the match between Birmingham and Arsenal, Edwardo (Arsenal) was subjected to a brutal assault by Taylor (Birmingham), which resulted in Edwardo's ankle breaking.
Nonsense.

It was a tackle that went wrong, nothing more. Yes the consequences were grim, but brutal assault??? get a life.

The really sad part about that match was the amateur dramatics employed to gain a penalty/free kick. The soft prats screamed and rolled around more than Eduardo.

I watched the match and when I first saw the tackle I thought the ref was a bit harsh in giving Taylor a red card for what I thought was a fair tackle
Today there is a photo in the paper which shows Taylor with his boot halfway up Eduardo's shin with the studs showing prior to making contact.
The ref was on the spot and he had no hesitation in giving a red card, therefore whilst Taylor did not intend to cripple Eduardo he certainly intended to leave his mark.
IMO he should receive a lengthy ban.

Sponsored Links
This is the link to the photo I referred to, tell me you still think it was not malicious.
Unfortunately I am not able to show the picture direct without all the other comments in the article.

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages...?in_article_id=517951&in_page_id=1779[/QUOTE]
Got it.
And no, i definitely don't think it is malicous.

Are you goint to tell us all high tackles in rugby are malicious too? Bear in mind, these have potentially very serious consequnces

its a snapshot that shows it at its worst. not good, but the whole thing has to be watched in context.

what was william gallas on though??? ive always thought he was a fruitloop but my god!

And funny how the myopic manager Wenger saw every little deatail of this tackle but never manages to see any dodgy ones his players make.

What was the Arsenal player doing jumping into the Man U players chest the other week...feet first and studs showing???

Wenger: Can't comment, didn't see it.

He never meant to break his leg. Full stop.

I hate Arsenal players with a passion and watching Robin VanPersie miss most of the season through injury is great fun.

What happened to Eduardo wasn't and wish him a speedy recovery. Taylor may have meant to 'get rough' with Eduardo but no one in their right mind would want to do that.

If you think Eduardo's was bad have a look at Cisse's. **Graphic**

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPKcKtONDvw

It was a tackle that went wrong, nothing more. Yes the consequences were grim, but brutal assault??? get a life.

It looks like Edwardo will need to get a life.....off the football pitch. I doubt that his ankle will recover to the degree that he will need to continue playing at the highest level. Sure, he will walk and maybe run, but the flexibility of the ankle needed to control a football might well be lost.

Clearly Taylor did not intend to break Edwardo's leg, but his deliberate over the top lunge greatly increased the risk of serious injury to Edwardo and Taylor must be punished accordingly. To say that the photo is only a snapshot is flawed. That was where Taylor aimed his leg: well above the ball and that is the context of the incident.

An innovative way to deal with offenders, with reckless tackles like that, is to ban them for the same time as the injured player is unfit to train.

Sponsored Links
Back