Effect of old rads for new.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a cold house. I can't afford to replace the windows, I've had cavity wall insulation done and I've done the loft myself. In my front downstairs room, as an example, there are two rads. They're quite old and one os 500mm wide th eother is 750 mm wide but they just don't heat the room enough.

So, simple question: how much difference would a high output double rad make, considering the windows are still original casements?

Sponsored Links
If you supply enough heat you can get the room to any temperature
you like.

Double glazing is cheap. Measure the windows and do it yourself.
tot difficult. I did about 9 windows for about £2000-£2500 a few years ago.

Thick curtains will help failing new windows.

I'm going to replace the windows at the back of the house myself as they're straightforward casement type. But the big windows at the front are 10 foot bays and I've heard plenty of awful stories about people trying to change them and then finding out the originals were providing structural support. Our neighbour had his replaced top and bottom a few years ago and they cost around 5K.

Further - what's the overall effect of a rad cover with a fretworked frontage? does it reduce the output or net-effect noticeably?

Sponsored Links
Those who fit them like builders swear that they make no effect!

But builders do swear a lot!

My view is that they probably reduce output at least 30% but I have never seen any scientific tests done on them!

You could do that for us if you have the equipment!

Tony

I'll do a before and after - how long it takes to toast bread. Results should be in next year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back