Efflorescence on inside wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a few areas of efflorescence on inside walls in my house and want to know the best and easiest way to get rid of it.

I moved into the house a year and the previous owner did a good job of hiding the problem so unfortunately I am left trying to sort it out.

I have a 1930's semi, the previous owners had painted all the outside bricks so the full house was cream, not only did it look awful it was causing damp problems. The paint has been removed and the full house has been repointed.

Once the paint came off after a week or so efflorescence came up on the outside wall, but unfortunately it is also one the inside wall of my hallway.

I was hoping that once the paint came off outside the bricks would be able to breathe and the problem would go away but I was being a bit too optimistic.

How do I solve this??

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Does the house have solid walls? If there is efflorescence internally, it is presumably drying out to the inside as well as outside, so the problem should eventually clear (assuming there is a proper dpc and no other avenue for water ingress into the wall).

Yes solid walls, so hopefully over time it will go away. Is there any thing I should do in the meantime? Would plaster sealer do anything? Thanks Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back