Elderly kettle whisle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Dutch kettle, vintage 1993, with a delightful two-tone whistle. The whistle is internal, i.e. it fits inside the spout and is held in by a spring clip with two protrusions that expand when it is inserted. The problem is that the plastic retaining the spring is cracked now in several places and the whistle is on the point of disintegrating.

The internal diameter of the spout is 25mm (1.0 inch) and the external diameter is 28.5mm (1 1/8in). I have looked in vain for both internal and external whistles with this diameter. So clearly I will have to make some sort of repair. But what? As you can see I have tried taping it up with a variety of tapes but at 100C they all either lose their stick or melt and peel off immediately. Any suggestions / ideas welcome - thank you.

Kettle-whistle1.jpg Kettle-whistle2.jpg Kettle-whistle4.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks , Footprints. I see what you're suggesting. I just need to find the right combination of top and bottom end diameters! The adaptor will sit between the whistle, OD 24mm, and the spout, ID 25mm. This will require a joining piece with top end ID 25mm (whistle) and bottom end ID 29mm (to go over the spout). 30mm would probably work, i.e. not too loose for the whistle to sound. (I've discovered it needs to be a tight fit, or the kettle just blows steam everywhere.)

Sponsored Links
If the end result is a new whistle, which appears to be what gives the kettle it's charm then surely you may as well just buy a new whistle kettle? I'm all for keeping stuff going but it is getting on a bit? :whistle:

Thanks, Ericmark. Sadly, all camping kettle whistles seem to have enormous diameters. I must have looked at a dozen (online!)- some sort of standardisation at work here, perhaps.

Thanks, Freddiemercurystwin (great hame :cool:). I must have looked at 20-30 replacement whistle offerings but they all have the wrong diameter. There was a German one that might have worked but it cost body parts - something like £30.

Thank you, Mattylad, especially for looking up some options. Sadly, both the Aga and Alessi whistles are the wrong diameter. I really think I have exhausted the replacement options.

For now I have applied a 'bandage' of heavy-duty aluminium foil (Reynolds Wrap) around the cracks. It stuck to the whistle OK using the residue of all the other tapes that melted/came off! It's holding at the moment - only been in use 2 days - but it's only a temporary solution.

So when that fails it looks like I'll have to find some sort of pipe adapter, as suggested above. But it is very difficult to find the right combination of sizes.

You could try JB Weld extreme heat epoxy? It is ok up to 1300°c so would work - possibly apply with a brush to fit into the cracks then brush over to create a new surface. That could be left to cure and sanded down for a tight fit.

Possibly "painting" the inside and outside of the tube that slips into the filler and making use of the cracks to join the inner and outer of the whistle would add strength. Even drilling a couple of holes to allow the epoxy to join inner and outer?

Just read up on it and check it's food safe

Thank you, Tigercubrider. I had no idea such stuff exists! I do have a glue that's good in dishwashers but not up to 100C. Have tried that one - unsuccessfully. I will look up the JB Weld.

You can always buy some and paint it on something, then dangle it in the kettle and boil the bejesus out of it before trying on the real thing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back