Electric boiler for hot water only?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This is my first post so please bare with me.

I want to refurb the bathroom in a small 1 bed flat. It currently has an emersion type heater for heating water and it only supplys the bath and basin taps in the bathroom and the sink in the kitchen. The bathroom also has an electric shower.

My aim is to be able to fit a thermostatic shower when the bathroom is refurbished. At present the existing hot water pressure is far too low for this....it takes an age to even run a bath etc. I have previously looked into pumps but this will drain the emersion too quickly so I'm told...this kind of makes sense to me and my limited knowledge.

Is there a boiler on the market that can replace the existing system and provide enough hot water and enough pressure to allow a thermostatic shower to be fitted?

The flat only has electric and the cupboard where the boiler is situated is 7m from any external wall.

I have tried to give as much info as possible. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Sorry, from reading other posts it appears I have a cylinder heater with a cold water header tank.

The cold water to the flat is straight from the mains so the flow and pressure are good.

Thanks
Mike

Provided your mains is up to it you could have an unvented hot water cylinder installed, that'll give you mains pressure hot water.

Or an open vented thermal store. We put one is recently heated via an Amptec electric boiler. You have a choice of inputs, and even an option to run wet central heating as well.

The one we fitted worked well, although I wasn't happy with the quality of the finish - appears to be cosmetic issues though so perhaps a one off problem??

Look at Gledhill.

Sponsored Links
I really can't see the point in fitting an unvented cylinder and separate electric boiler. Much better to heat it via an immersion heater; you can get extra powerful ones.

Take care with flowrates, some power showers deliver far more water than you really need. Keep it as simple as possible.

Your options are either an unvented cylinder plus mains pressure shower mixer with the cold supply taken from the specific output on the unvented safety kit, or search out a shower which will work by gravity from a low pressure. They do exist.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back