Electric Boiler Thermistor/PCB issue and possible solution?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an electric boiler that is producing only warm water (90 F). Model# HYDRA15-E2401M-B, manufactured by Dettson.

The boiler has a temperature setting on the PCB and a mechanical aquastat(Honeywell L4008A) for high temperature cutoff. And they are set to 170F and 190F (high-limit).

So I suspect that it is the thermistor sensor, which is a dry-fit one and it was very easy to remove. I removed it from the boiler but left it attached to the PCB so the resistance won't change when the boiler temperature raises. I started up the boiler - this time it went up to 190F and the high limit cutoff kicked in. I put the thermistor back on, and it shut off the boiler elements one by one at around 90F.

The Thermistor resistance at room temperature is 14.4K ohm.

So it seems to me that the problem is either the thermistor or the PCB.This is a very rare boiler and I am having a very hard time to find the thermistor. The part # is A20013 BTW.

So I think since its a NTC, can I just add a 2K resistor in between so it has a higher "starting point" and produce hotter water?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back