Electric guitar playing

L

longdogs

When I was younger (** years ago) I was fortunate enough to own a genuine Gibson Les Paul and used to play in a band. Unfortunately, I sold it when we all met girlfriends and the band split up.

A lot of years later and I have bought myself a Strat copy (Yamaha Pacifica) and have been struggling to learn guitar all over again. I am gradually getting quicker with chord changes but can't help feeling that the guitar itself is holding me back (not wishing to blame my tools). The strings feel high even though I have adjusted them a bit and the frets feel high resulting in varying notes.

Is my guitar holding me back or am I just whingeing?

Sponsored Links
I spent the afternoon adjusting one of my Strat copies and boy does it make a difference, both in playability and in sound. There's loads of resources out there to help but if you need some more help let me know and I'll try to help (I am not an expert).

Some strat copies are better than some originals (the standard of which varies enormously) so once a guitar is set up right it CAN become lovely, even if it didnt cost that much.

I would have to say yes getting a original fender guitar will make a difference. even if it's just physiological. Or at least get yours set up professionally. It worked for me

Sponsored Links
I spent the afternoon adjusting one of my Strat copies and boy does it make a difference, both in playability and in sound. There's loads of resources out there to help but if you need some more help let me know and I'll try to help (I am not an expert).

Some strat copies are better than some originals (the standard of which varies enormously) so once a guitar is set up right it CAN become lovely, even if it didnt cost that much.

thanks. I think I will have a go at making some more adjustments. One thing I have noticed is that the neck on the strat is much thinner than on the les paul, so I suppose chords would have been easier - fitting all the fingers in.

I would have to say yes getting a original fender guitar will make a difference. even if it's just physiological. Or at least get yours set up professionally. It worked for me

Having watched my Son adjust adapt repair dozens of guitars I would advise that you get the Guitar looked at by a good, recommended, professional guitar mechanic. if you live near Glasgow he could assist? if you needed it?

Problem is that, each guitar will present with a problem, the trick is in getting the fix correct, two guitars presenting with an identical problem will require different fixes to make the problem go away.

Loads of fixes on the Web, trouble unless you are trained guitar TEC.. choosing the correct fix is crucial, even for a Strat Copy, nothing at all wrong with them, they can sound and play superbly!

Suggest that you find a reputable, recommended guitar Mechanic and have a chat with him / her?

As an aside, have you had a look at the X-Box "ROCK-SMITH"? this game appears to be [at least to me] a really good tutor, in your time, not all that expensive, in effect a guitar tutor whenever you have time to get into it?

if it assists? I can try to get some assist as to your specific problem on your Guitar? what is happening with your guitar I will ask for advice from my son, who spent some ten years as a Guitar Tec for a major guitar store outlet in Glasgow.

Ken

Back