Electric shower and toilet both run from CWS with same pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I currently have an electric shower fed from the mains. Mains flow is terrible (same in my whole building), so have been looking at electric showers with built-in pumps which would be fed from the cold water storage tank. CWS also feeds the other outlets upstairs via a Salamander pump.

The existing mains pipe that feeds the electric shower runs past the CWS, so plumber was hoping to just take a T off one of the pipes from the CWS and run that through the existing mains pipe into the bathroom and then fit the new shower unit in place of the old.

However, the same mains pipe Ts off in my bathroom and also feeds the toilet cistern.

With the setup above:

1) Would there be an issue filling the toilet cistern from the CWS (CWS is about head height in the spare room - same floor as the bathroom)?

2) When someone flushes the toilet, would that be an issue for the pump in the shower? Conversely, could the pump from the shower cause issues with the toilet filling too fast if it's flushed and the shower is running?

3) The two existing outlets from the CWS run to the salamander pump (for cold water), or to the vented hot water cylinder. Is taking the feed off one of those for the shower a bad idea (i.e do I need to put another hole in the CWS for a separate outlet to the shower/toilet)? Seems like it wouldn't be good if the shower was on and someone then turned the cold tap on (attached to the Salamander) from the same CWS outlet?

I can probbaly get around 3 with a fresh outlet from the CWS. But 1 and 2 I can't do anything about as can't run new pipes into the bathroom.

Cheers

Chris

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back