Electric Shower, Cable/Rating.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to upgrade my electric shower and whilst doing so get a more powerful one.

Currenty have a 8.5kw, cable (6mm I believe) is not trunked goes from main board, under floor, through airing cupboard into loft connecting to pull cord, i'd estimate in all around 12-15m absoloute max, then a metre in the loft from pull cord into plastered wall for 1 metre to shower.

My question is can I go to 9.5kw or dare I say 10.5kw?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Currenty have a 8.5kw, cable (6mm I believe) is not trunked goes from main board, under floor, through airing cupboard...
How hot is it inside the airing cupboard?

...into loft connecting to pull cord...
Is the cable clear of the loft insulation?

My question is can I go to 9.5kw...
That depends on the answers to the above.

It might turn out that your existing shower is overloading the cable.

...or dare I say 10.5kw?
No.

Airing cupboard not particually warm, all pipes are lagged as is tank, it's a big cupboard so the cable is a good 3-4 foot from the nearest hot pipe/tank (it runs just inside the door whereas the tank and pipes are at the back, cupboard is about 7 foot deep),

Cable is clear of the little loft insulation I have!

I need to double check the cable size - whats the easiest way, nothing seems to be on outer sheating other then "north west cables"

Airing cupboard not particually warm, all pipes are lagged as is tank, it's a big cupboard so the cable is a good 3-4 foot from the nearest hot pipe/tank (it runs just inside the door whereas the tank and pipes are at the back, cupboard is about 7 foot deep),

Cable is clear of the little loft insulation I have!

I need to double check the cable size - whats the easiest way, nothing seems to be on outer sheating other then "north west cables"
Method 1:
Look at it. This works only if you're familiar with looking at cables.

Method 2:
Measure the conductor diameter with a micrometer.
Multiply by the number of strands (if more than one).
Work out the CSA using schoolboy arithmetic.

Method 3:
Chop off a bit and take it to an electrical wholesaler to compare with their stock.

Method 3:
At the weekend, chop off a bit and take if to BNFNQ to compare with their stock.

Sponsored Links
If you do a search for twin and earth cables on the DIY Wiki, you should find a table that lists the overall sizes for different cables. I'd stick a link in but I haven't the know how yet.
Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back