electric shower - hose stops it working properly - how to fix?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Mira Sport electric shower. Since installation, when on the high setting (2 elements) it cycles hot cold hot cold every few seconds. Ive phoned Mira and they say this is 'normal' and its the anti-scald kicking in. Their solution is to run it on Eco setting (1 element) but the amount of water that comes out on Eco is pathetic. There is no issue with water pressure where i live. This is an issue with the shower as other people are reporting it on amazon reviews.

When I remove the hose from the unit it works fine. Theres not a lot of water coming out though, id expect more from a 'sport' shower. But a shower needs a hose....

Mira wont replace as they say its working. Before I go though the hassle of pursuing this further with Mira, is there some solution you know of? Is there a hose type that will fix it? Can i get a plumber to force more water to pump through the unit which i think might fix things?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The flow restriction is more likely to be caused by the shower head, not the flexible hose. The hose probably has a larger diameter than the pipe leaving the heater tank already.

There could be a restriction in the shower head as mentioned by stem ^

Test this by unscrewing the head and run the shower through the hose only,its a process of elimination.

if you need a new hose or shower head,get replacements suitable for your shower.

Sponsored Links
Could be the isolation valve to the shower ? maybe a cheapo with a restricted bore ? replace with a full bore one.

IMG_1312.JPG IMG_1313.JPG
Hi.
I've just attached only the hose to the unit and the water stays an even temp, but as soon as I attached the head that came with the shower it started going v hot and then cold again. I then put a smaller £1 head on and the temp stayed even.
What should I do? I paid £200 for this shower. Shall I contact Mira and ask them to send a replacement head out? Or is it a fault with the shower unit in that it isn't pushing the water through the head at the required pressure? Should Mira replace the whole thing?
I'm sure some smart Alec will say 'use the £1 shower head and be done with it' but for £200 I expect the shower to work properly.
I'm attaching pics of the 2 heads.
Thanks

The flow restriction is more likely to be caused by the shower head, not the flexible hose. The hose probably has a larger diameter than the pipe leaving the heater tank already.

There could be a restriction in the shower head as mentioned by stem ^

Test this by unscrewing the head and run the shower through the hose only,its a process of elimination.

if you need a new hose or shower head,get replacements suitable for your shower.

there is no scale. the shower is brand new and the head has hardly been used.
Thanks for the updated information,it does change the next step forward.

Your installer has to contact Mira and by now your guarantee card registration details will have been sent back to mira,they have their procedures and then they will do something.

If its a diy installation it will be different and you need to contact the shower supplier.

Or get a mira expert to inspect it (at your cost) then reclaim that cost if the unit is faulty,if an installation error its down to the installer.

If we knew it was brand new the above or similar would be suggested.

good luck.

The shower head that came with Mira shower, has several different shower patterns, so have you tired it on all the settings yet. You'll find one that lets more water through, and others that concentrate the water, and that would restrict the flow. You also need to take into account that the shower will let more water through in the summer, and less in the winter when the waters colder, so you'll notice a difference there as well. Now I'm not saying the units not faulty, but it may not be that straightforward either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back