Electric shower not working..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Having a problem with the shower this morning. The isolator switch is working as normal, light turns on etc..

When I then press the power button on the shower itself, it seems to be tripping, and it turns off the light indicator on the isolator switch.

Does this sound like a problem with the fuse in the consumer unit? Obviously I am not an electrician so wanted your thoughts!

Thanks all

B

Sponsored Links
No, it sounds like a problem with the shower unit. What is tripping?

Yes that's what I mean sorry, I think the fuse might have gone in the shower unit? When I turn on the shower it trips the isolator switch.

When you say "shower unit", do you mean that you have a separate mini-CU for the shower, or do you mean "shower itself"?

When you say "isolator switch" you seem to be referring to two different things:

The isolator switch is working as normal, light turns on etc..
it turns off the light indicator on the isolator switch.
When I turn on the shower it trips the isolator switch.

What type of switch is it that's tripping? Does it have a test button?

Sponsored Links
Depends on the type of Electric Shower, if its the DIY sort, low to medium price range, its probably not worth having repaired, the particular model is probably discontinued,
I give these types of showers about a 3 to 5 year life span depending on use, I normally advise customers to purchase a new one, at least they get a 1-2 year guarantee or replacement if it fails

When you say "shower unit", do you mean that you have a separate mini-CU for the shower, or do you mean "shower itself"?

When you say "isolator switch" you seem to be referring to two different things:

What type of switch is it that's tripping? Does it have a test button?

Yeah, I mean the actual shower.

The isolator switch is just a pull cord which then gives the power to the shower. It's once I press the button to turn the actual shower on that it trips the isolator switch.

What do you mean "it trips the isolator switch". Photos would be useful.

I mean when I press the button on the shower unit to turn it on, the light on the isolator switch (pull cord switch) goes out. I am not at home at the moment for photos, I will show later.

I suspect you’ve got a loose connection in the isolator. When there’s no load applied it’s making enough of a connection to power the neon, but when you apply the load of the shower it kills the voltage.

You (or someone competent if you’re not) need to take the isolator down and check the connections inside

The isolator switch cannot “trip”. Only the safety devices in the consumer unit (aka fuseboard) can “trip”.
If you mean that the indicator light goes out in the (ceiling???) isolator switch then this indicates a bad connection on the supply side to the switch. This may be in the switch itself, or in the consumer unit.
Either way, if you don’t have even DIY Electrical skills, then you need to get a competent electrician to sort you out.

if you mean the pull-cord ceiling switch, and you don't mean a breaker in the consumer unit, then it is probably a loose wire burned away in the switch. Heat damages and softens the copper, so a repair depends on providing clean bright copper in the cable, and an undamaged switch. A professional electrician can if necessary extend the wire after cutting away the damage. DIY tools will not do it.

Yeah, I mean the actual shower.
OK. I asked because you also talked about fuses, and people often have a small CU installed just for a shower when they find that their fuse box can't be used for it.

I think the fuse might have gone in the shower unit?
Showers do not have fuses in them. Except possibly on circuit boards, if they have them. But clearly even if yours does, it can't have blown, as you can keep on trying and getting the same symptoms - if an internal fuse had gone it would be dead.

The isolator switch is just a pull cord which then gives the power to the shower. It's once I press the button to turn the actual shower on that it trips the isolator switch.
When I turn on the shower it trips the isolator switch.
Isolator switches do not "trip" - they are just on/off switches.

Okay thanks all - I will get my father in law to check the isolator switch as this may be the problem. He used to be an electrician so best for him to do it rather than me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back