Electric Shower vs Combi with Mixer Shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good afternoon..

I know this question has probably been done to death on here but...

We have a Creda 10.5KW electric shower in the bathroom which is starting to show signs of giving up due to years of abuse and hard water. We also have a Vaillant 24KW combi boiler.

The water pressure in the house is good and the boiler does a grand job of kicking out hot water, even at high rates of ltr/min (meaning, I assume, that the water pressure would be greater for a mixer shower than an electric one anyway).

This made me wonder - would it be cheaper to run a mixer shower than an electric one?

Craig.

Sponsored Links
The water pressure for both arrangements would be the same, but the boiler should be able to deliver at least twice the flow. Both electric showers and combi boilers restrict the flow to regulate the water temperature, but with over twice the energy input available, there's less restriction through the boiler.

Using gas to heat water is more economical than electricity. Compare the prices of each fuel expressed in pence per Kilowatt Hour. Part of the saving may disappear in an inceased flow rate through a shower mixer.

At the moment you have an alternative hot water supply if (when?) your boiler fails.

Well it's council property and in true council style, when they installed the combi, took EVERYTHING else out. There is no alternative as the cylinder will have been worth too much in scrap to be left as a back-up. :rolleyes:

Same happened at me mother's house. I don't agree with it to be honest, should always be an alternative back-up. Can't knock the good old immersion heater.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back