Electric water heater off or on ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it cheaper to leave my electric water heater on all the time? Its a well insulated ballon very common over here in France. I had put it on a timer to heat up at night on cheap rate electricity but someone said its better to leave it on.
Ray B

Sponsored Links
If its cheaper at night & by being on all night is all you need, then how can it be cheaper to leave it on.
Anyway even if it wasnt cheaper, it is not the most economical way to heat the water by leaving it on, UNLESS it is in constant demand.

We use the water by day, showers washing up etc. I let it heat up the tank overnight (250 Lts I think) and nomaly lasts all day. Now summers here we get a lot of visitors so it would need a boost during the day. BUT! I was told that if you leave it on all the time it just heats up what you used and cuts in to top up the temp when needed, rather than heat up the whole tank. I can see the logic but being thick I'd thought I'd ask the experts! Can any one shed light on this theory?
Ray B :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back