Electrical Box Cutting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning to fit quite a few extra double sockets around the house and bought a double box cutter and tri-cut cutter. I just checked though and it says they're not suitable for 5kg SDS drills which I have.

Just wondering if anyone knows why they're not suitable and also if there's a better method of cutting out for the back boxes. I've got about 30 to fit around the house in total and it's all into red brick.

Cheers,
Andy

Sponsored Links
The socket sinkers are not too good on brick, On red brick I find the best method is to stitch drill the hole and knock out with masonry chisel, a little time consuming but most methods are with brick.

The socket sinkers are not too good on brick, On red brick I find the best method is to stitch drill the hole and knock out with masonry chisel, a little time consuming but most methods are with brick.

Cheers, I'd read that actually so I'll probably send them back I think.

They have there uses, I carried an armeg kit around with until the shafts snapped, ok on clinker/breeze blocks, soft stone and low density concrete blocks, but brick, quality stone and medium-high density concrete they don't cut it (excuse the pun) So I am now happy carrying masonry bits, and various SDS and hand chisels, the scutch comb chisel is a useful addition.

Sponsored Links
Draw around the back box you want to knock out and the I use a 10mm drill bit with masking tape around to the depth(say 25mm) then drill as many holes as you can inside the outline of the back box. Then just tap the masonry away with a chisel.

Draw around the back box you want to knock out and the I use a 10mm drill bit with masking tape around to the depth(say 25mm) then drill as many holes as you can inside the outline of the back box. Then just tap the masonry away with a chisel.

the best method is to stitch drill the hole and knock out with masonry chisel
;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back