Electrical Certificate for Conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I added a conservatory to the house in around 2008 and am in the process of selling my house. The buyers solicitor has requested an electrical pass certificate for the work carried out but I thought that came under building regulations hence not needing one. Can anyone give me a definitive answer as Ive looked online & it seems a bit unclear.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
When you submitted the application to building controls did this include the electrical installation?

When the electrics were installed, who inspected and tested them before commissioning?

Did that person leave you any documentation?

On completion and signing off, did you receive a certificate or notice of completion from building controls? This may have turned up a few weeks after final inspection.

PBD, generally conservatorys do not require Building Control Approval, that said the electrics should have been installed by a self certifying electrician who should have duly sent his sign off to the local authority who would then hold it on record. I'm not sure the LA is bound to let you, the homeowner, know though. Anyway, I would just say to the solicitor that you don't have any certification and that if there was a problem it would have materialized by now, they will probably ask you to purchase a pointless indemnity insurance policy which will probably be about £100 and the solicitor will earn a nice little bit fee off of it. Some buyers wouldn't be perturbed, others will.

No application was submitted because no permission was required. The electrics were done by a qualified electrician although no receipt or anything was given. I paid cash to keep the cost down and I've had no problems with what been done at all

Sponsored Links
I've had no problems with what been done at all

You have, because it has not been notified to building controls!

Your only option now is to have an electrical installation condition report made, this is not a certificate but are report on the condition of the installation. it maybe that report flags up some codes that need addressing, but it may not!

Depending on size of property and number of circuits, that would depend on cost of report.

Out of interest what electrics were installed, any new circuits, was RCD protection included on newly buried cables and socket outlets?

If the work was only minor, you may not require notification but still should have been issued a cert for the electrician. Are still in contact with the electrician?

Your only option now is to have an electrical installation condition report made, this is not a certificate but are report on the condition of the installation.
No it isn't, refer to my post.
The buyers solicitor has requested an electrical pass certificate for the work

The OP has been asked to produce electrical cert, not insurance, so it is. Unless something dodgy goes on!

It maybe for the sale to move forward without certs, that what you have suggested is an option.
But to answer the question asked by the OP, my option is correct!

There's only 4 double sockets, wall light and 4 floor lights which have been wired into the existing consumer unit. My spark works abroad a lot now so is quite difficult to get hold of but I could always try

I will put money on that the OP has received a standard solicitors letter asking for an electrical certificate for previous works, when he responds that he doesn't the buyers solicitor will suddenly seem like a knight in shinning armour when he reveals that the seller can solve the conundrum by buying a useless indemnity.

There's only 4 double sockets, wall light and 4 floor lights which have been wired into the existing consumer unit. My spark works abroad a lot now so is quite difficult to get hold of but I could always try

Was wired to existing circuits or are they new ones from an existing consumer unit?
Does the consumer unit have RCDs protecting on these circuits?

As it is possible that only a minor works cert was/is required and also possible that the electrical work did not require notifying.
But you would still need a cert for the work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back