Electrical law in Australia?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it really true that in Australia you need an licensed electrician to do even the most basic of work such as replacing a light switch or replacing a light fitting,etc...

If true, then that is nuts compared to the UK.

Why for the such tight rules compared to other countries?

Sponsored Links
If it were something simple like that, I'd be tempted just to do it and replace like for like. Any comeback: "It was already like that, sir."

my BIL is an electronics, electrical and HVAC engineer who has lived and worked in UK and Oz.

He tells me that the regulations around electrical, gas and water work are trade protection laws intended to protect the jobs and earnings of the tradesmen.

I can appreciate that, but just how far do the restrictions extend? Is the consumer permitted to, for example, change a plug?

Sponsored Links
I can appreciate that, but just how far do the restrictions extend? Is the consumer permitted to, for example, change a plug?

Not in some states, can in others.

Judging by some of the threads on electrics UK from people having trouble changing switches perhaps Australien rules are not so bad after all.

Not in some states

That is B***** ridiculous! :eek:

Judging by some of the threads on electrics UK from people having trouble changing switches perhaps Australian rules are not so bad after all.

If someone does not isolate, prove dead, and wire it like for like, and ask for help when they need it; then something is not right!

While I can see one struggling wiring up a S or a Y plan heating system or extending a ring final circuit, replacing a light switch is one of the simplest jobs one can do!

Not in some states, can in others.

Judging by some of the threads on electrics UK from people having trouble changing switches perhaps Australien rules are not so bad after all.

I am the holder of a Queensland "tradesman Radio" ticket, enabling me to work on mains powered equipment. HOWEVER there is an addition on the back of the ticket that basicly says I CANNOT change a mains plug !!
Not so important really as all the sockets in Oz are the same and all kit is sold with a moulded plug ...Still silly though.

Do you have re-wireable plugs in Australia or are they all modular?

If they are all modular, I can see the point of the law; otherwise seems like a stupid law in my opinion as changing a plug to me is something that is a necessity of life and thus a skill one should have.

I rewired my first plug when I was about 11.

Do you have re-wireable plugs in Australia or are they all modular?

If they are all modular, I can see the point of the law; otherwise seems like a stupid law in my opinion as changing a plug to me is something that is a necessity of life and thus a skill one should have.

I rewired my first plug when I was about 11.

Re-wireable plugs are readily available in Australia though all locally bought electrical appliances have moulded plugs.

Re-wireable plugs are required for

1. Hobbyists who build their own electronic equipment.
2. Replacement of plugs on grey imports or equipment brought back from holidays or brought in by immigrants.
3. Replacement of moulded plugs that have got damaged.
4. When plugs are cut off to enable a lead to be threaded through a small hole in a bit of furniture.

In fact the same reasons as why they are required in the UK.

Well in that case, the law seems very over the top :evil: :!: . Does the law get enforced often, and how hard is it for one to get what ever they need to do simple electrical jobs such as changing a plug or replacing a light switch?

I bet many Australians rewire their own plugs all the time and never get in trouble!

Are re-wirable plugs easy to get hold of in Australia also?

Well in that case, the law seems very over the top :evil: :!: . Does the law get enforced often, and how hard is it for one to get what ever they need to do simple electrical jobs such as changing a plug or replacing a light switch?

I bet many Australians rewire their own plugs all the time and never get in trouble!

Are re-wirable plugs easy to get hold of in Australia also?

As I said:

Re-wireable plugs are readily available in Australia though all locally bought electrical appliances have moulded plugs.

Not all states restrict changing plugs. Queensland does, New South Wales does not.

ISTR that UK equipment also has to have molded plugs.

I'm pretty sure that there are many Australians that rewire their own plugs etc whatever the law says.

For instance, I can't see anyone who knows how from sparky to radio ham rewiring their own gear.

I was born in Australia and lived there for 28 years.

As stated by previous posters, I believe there is State to state specifics and guidance but the thrust of the prohibition on DIY electrical is pretty much the same - often sighted as you can change a light bulb but nothing else. Some specifically mention changing plugs prohibition.

Key legislation I believe is Australian Standard AS/NZS 3000:2007 (referred to as the Australian / New Zealand Wiring Rules) but I've never looked at it.

Dare I say, when I was in Australia, I changed plugs, switches and other peripheral work and am sure other do too. The threats from the authorities and insurance do hang over your head though...

Australia can be incredibly officious and rule driven sometimes, especially compared to Europe attitudes (Europe central government excluded)...

Is it really true that in Australia you need an licensed electrician to do even the most basic of work such as replacing a light switch or replacing a light fitting,etc...

If true, then that is nuts compared to the UK.

Why for the such tight rules compared to other countries?

Well they appear to use Clipsal accessories ! With such high standards what would you expect ? :LOL:

DS

He tells me that the regulations around electrical, gas and water work are trade protection laws intended to protect the jobs and earnings of the tradesmen.

So is an electrician or plumber's time cheap compared to here? I know there is a minimum wage of about AUS$18 per hour, but if there's a protectionist market, does that make them expensive??? I mean, there must be plenty of supply and demand if you have to call someone in for something as simple as changing a light switch.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
Back