Electricity for gas cooker - wall or trailing socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m looking at replacing a freestanding gas cooker with another one. The existing one has battery operated ignition and is not connected to mains electric.

The replacement would almost certainly have mains powered ignition. There isn’t a wall socket that nearby and installing one would mean significant disruption. Would it be legit to feed a trailing socket behind the kitchen units so that it sits on the floor just to the side of the rear of the cooker or is there something in the regs that states that a gas cooker such as this must be plugged directly into a wall socket?

Sponsored Links
Would it be legit to feed a trailing socket behind the kitchen units so that it sits on the floor
This will work, with the proviso that Holmslaw has made. But also consider what would happen if the floor was flooded with water. Best to fix the socket a foot or so above the floor and accessible for the ( un-likely ) event that the hob ignition needs to be turned off.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies.

The trailing socket would be fed from an outlet in the larder (old-fashioned style which is a separate mini room in the kitchen). Freezer is in the larder and there is a wall socket there. I was intending to run an extension lead from that socket through the wall and behind the one unit that sits on the other side of the wall (with the trailing socket behind this unit) before the point where the cooker is located.

I'd already thought about the spills / flooding issue and would probably place the socket at the top of the kick-space level (so about 17cm off the floor). I'm only intending to use a single-gang trailing socket (due to reasons of space and ease of access). Unfortunately, these (as well as two-gang ones) don't seem to have recesses for hooking over screws (unlike the four gang etc.), so I can't neatly hang it on the wall out of the way.

The hob ignition could be turned off just by unplugging the extension lead at the wall socket.

Why not put a longer cable on the cooker?
The nearest wall socket in the kitchen proper is the other side of the sink unit. Don't think a flex trailing all the way across to there is a good idea somehow.

Of course, could cut off the plug, feed the flex through wall into larder and put on a new plug. Not much fun if then want to move cooker out for some reason later.

The real answer, of course, is to extend the circuit from the socket in the larder to serve a new socket in an appropriate place in the kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back