Electrics and loft insulation

• Thread starter Deleted2797112
  • Start date
Hi thanks, yes. I read here and elsewhere about the different methods and it came down to a trade-off between cost and ability to do it myself. I think the cheapest way would have been to raise the height of the joists with timbers and lay sheet chipboard/osb/ply or whatever. But I'm a small woman so my ability to get these up a fully extended ladder and then manoevre them around the loft single-handed without going through a ceiling is a bit limited! So I priced up using the loft legs and boards against the insulated boards and the loft legs version came in £30 cheaper.

This is before I topped up the insulation. Still got to screw the boards down.

View media item 55075
On the whole I'm pleased with them. With the boards on they're solid to walk on. One thing I will say though is that I watched the promotional video about fitting them, the bloke appears to drive screws straight into them with a piddly little driver. I've got an 18v Bosch cordless combi and it wouldn't touch them. I ended up drilling 136 pilot holes to fit them to the joists and will do the same to fit the boards. Still, my time is free!

Sponsored Links
Looking at that link you posted - do I need the rubber gaskets too?
No, you should be fine without them.

On the whole I'm pleased with them. With the boards on they're solid to walk on. One thing I will say though is that I watched the promotional video about fitting them, the bloke appears to drive screws straight into them with a piddly little driver. I've got an 18v Bosch cordless combi and it wouldn't touch them.
Likely the pro-mo installer was using an impact driver.

Thanks for the gasket info!

Yes, when I couldn't get anywhere with my combi, I looked around at threads here on impact drivers but they're quite expensive and I'm not likely to get a lot of use out of it so did it the long way.

Thanks again for all the help. I have a feeling I'll be back on loft electrics once I work my way round the rest of it. The previous owners had a dislike of ceiling lights, so the living room has none (not even any wall lights either!) and one of the bedrooms has one 40w wall light in a recess so the room is like the black hole of Calcutta. I would like to re-instate the ceiling light in that room if I can but need to see what they've left behind, if anything.

Well when you are ready, to move on to next part of project with regards to lights, you know where we are.
Good luck with loft panels and take care.

Sponsored Links
Thank you - that's very kind! And for your input on my loft light thread too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back