Electrics to shed - option review opinions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Following my original thread //www.diynot.com/forums/electrics/swa-for-new-shed.408691/ I've now (finally!) spoken to a few sparks to get ideas of cost and what they would do. This has led to 2 general camps in terms of design, both of which seem ok to my amateur understanding so I wondered what the consensus on here might be...

Option 1
Junction box adjacent to existing main CU into MCB (none RCD protected) then suitably sized SWA from there along outside of house (kitchen extension) under patio and garden and into a junction box adjacent to a new mini-CU in the new shed. 6mm 3-core SWA but could go for 10mm for future-proof as cost difference of materials isn't massive compared to hassle of replacing.

Option 2
T&E from MCB in main CU, along inside of house through kitchen extension into junction box on inside wall. SWA from there, under patio and garden to shed mini-CU as above. Option to use 4-core SWA and have a two-way switch in kitchen to remotely switch garden lighting.

Based on initial estimates, the overall costs aren't that different as the increased costs of the longer SWA run for option 1 are balanced out by increased labour costs to run the internal cable for option 2 (would involve underfloor fishing due to solid & wooden floors and some channeling.) I assume the T&E would be equivalent size to the SWA for option 2 but haven't asked.

In my mind, option 1 would be easier in terms of installation however option 2 seems more attractive in terms of convenience for me, as although 2-way switching for remote lights isn't on my radar at the moment it would be a nice to have in future.

Anyway, I wondered if anyone on here has an opinion or preference on the two options? (Of course, of the 4 sparks I've discussed this with there are more details they've considered and probably others I've missed off but I think I've covered off the main points here.) For what its worth, the existing setup to our garage is essentially option 1, with 4mm SWA and a 32amp MCB in the main CU. In the main CU there is a spare 20amp MCB ready and waiting for the shed to be cabled up (assume the spark who originally re-wired the house put it there long ago.)

Any comments welcome. The sparks I have spoken to all appear to know what they are doing and as mentioned, costs aren't massively varying so I'm just wondering it there is something I should be making the decision on that I'm missing?

Sponsored Links
I think its up to you really.

1) Do you want the unsightly cable outside
or
2) Do you want the risk/mess of them ripping up your kitchen ?

You could always use 4 core for option 1 and have the garden light switch next to the CU ?
May not be the best place to have the switch, but better than having to unlock a shed to turn the lights on. (or turn off at the end of the evening)

Thanks Andy. I was hoping it would come down to personal preference and not end up depending on some technical issue.

We plan on re-tiling the kitchen and replacing the worktops in the near future, so a bit of mess now isn't the end of the world.

I think that is decision made - option 2 is favourite :)

Option 1
Junction box adjacent to existing main CU into MCB (none RCD protected) then suitably sized SWA from there along outside of house (kitchen extension) under patio and garden and into a junction box adjacent to a new mini-CU in the new shed. 6mm 3-core SWA but could go for 10mm for future-proof as cost difference of materials isn't massive compared to hassle of replacing.

Option 2
T&E from MCB in main CU, along inside of house through kitchen extension into junction box on inside wall. SWA from there, under patio and garden to shed mini-CU as above. Option to use 4-core SWA and have a two-way switch in kitchen to remotely switch garden lighting.
Option 1 every time - completely separate it from the house CU.

A switchfuse rather than an MCB would be the norm.

You could still use multi-core SWA if you want, but remember that the cores will be large. Wireless switching might be preferable.

Sponsored Links
Thanks bas.

I'd originally planned to use a remote switch (as have some spare) for the lights until someone suggested the two way switching. That would be cheaper overall as it'd drop the cost of the SWA.

Think I need a follow up conversation with the spark(s)...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back