Electrolux JLWM 1405 keeps stopping in wash cycle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Machine keeps stopping after starting any of the selected wash options. It is 9 years old and still spins quietly, drains kept clear and descaled regularly. It looks like new, so very keen to get it working again. Currently it will fill, drum turns, then stops. It will drain and spin ok if load not too heavy/uneven.

We have regular power cuts which may cause damage to electrical circuits?

Had a general appliance engineer look at it and he recommended an electrolux Engineer diagnose the problem as electrical faults hard to track down??
Not got the money for a good new machine and it seems too good to throw away. So tried to find out if there was an error code on the display ...following another post instructions but didn't seem to give error code??

Sponsored Links
Think you should check the motor brushes and condition of the rotor.
Have you checked the belt?

Think you should check the motor brushes and condition of the rotor.

Its a brushless motor

Have you checked the belt?

belt in good condition

Had a second engineer out who says that the Interface Config board needs replacing.

Washer Prod No is 914900090000
Can anyone fix this with a new board for less than £143.75?

You could probably buy a 2nd hand board for less than £40 and fit yourself, easy.

Though I am not entirely convinced that is your issue without first doing some other checks.

Try the following programmes with an empty drum, observe and report events:
Drain only
Spin only, try a low and a high speed
Quick wash

Sponsored Links
You could probably buy a 2nd hand board for less than £40 and fit yourself, easy.

Though I am not entirely convinced that is your issue without first doing some other checks.

Try the following programmes with an empty drum, observe and report events:
Drain only
Spin only, try a low and a high speed
Quick wash

Thanks for your reply

I have tested many times on each setting with drum empty. It stops/pause light flashes at different points in the wash cycle not a repetitive fault.
Machine can drain, spin, heat, recirculates the water, no problem with all the functions just it keeps stopping and the pause light blinks. The display resets the time to the start of the wash cycle. Pressing the pause button doesn't restart the machine, only switching to off and back to the function allows the machine to start again but from the beginning of the function set. I have measured the time to failure and it varies from 6 minutes to sometimes getting as far as spin before it pauses and won't restart. Weird?

The door light is still on when it pauses and the door is locked ok. When I press two buttons to get an error code it just gives an error related to whichever function it has paused on.

No pictures cause everything looks ok. wiring in place, no loose plugs/wires.
Engineer checked continuity of wiring.

Ok so its highly likely it is indeed the main control board and most likely a power issue.

I did have a look for a replacement board on ebay but think you will be out of luck there.

Ideally you need to locate and remove the control board. Usually found at the bottom right of the machine but could be at the top under the lid on the right.

Before removing take photos of the wiring connections so you know exactly where they go back, also noting any connections or tracks on the board that do not connect to anything.

Remove the board from the white plastic housing and take photos of both sides and post them on here. This will allow me to identify any obvious faulty components on the board, so the photos will need to be good enough for me to view clearly.

We can then go from there depending on the outcome.

If you need guidance accessing the board photos will be needed of the rear panel(no need to remove anything just pull the machine out far enough to photo the rear panel) and top view with the lid off.

http://www.ransomspares.co.uk/diagram/john lewis/washing-machines/46125/jlwm1405 (91490005900)/

If you go on above link the board the engineer is referring to is the front fascia panel board, item 587a.

If you are able to access this board and take photos and note the part number printed on the board we can
A) find a replacement
B) look to see if there is obvious damage

To be honest these boards rarely go wrong but when they do its due to water damage which is visible and obvious.
I think your problem is more likely on item 587 and diagram shows it located under lid top right.

Please also note that not only do you have a drain pump but also a circulation pump, item 6a.

http://www.ransomspares.co.uk/diagram/john%20lewis/washing-machines/46125/jlwm1405%20(91490005900)/

If you go on above link the board the engineer is referring to is the front fascia panel board, item 587a.

If you are able to access this board and take photos and note the part number printed on the board we can
A) find a replacement
B) look to see if there is obvious damage

To be honest these boards rarely go wrong but when they do its due to water damage which is visible and obvious.
I think your problem is more likely on item 587 and diagram shows it located under lid top right.

Please also note that not only do you have a drain pump but also a circulation pump, item 6a.

Thanks for all your ideas, I have been trawling the internet for the spare board and can't find it any cheaper than £143 from Electrolux, their engineer is going to fit it at no extra charge and I get my money back if it doesn't fix the problem so this is a good deal. The boards look clean of water damage....(I used to visual inspect PCBs for a livin) so you may be right and the boards are ok. If it is anything more expensive I will quit and buy another machine. Good job the neighbour is lending me the use of her m/c.

m/c too heavy to keep pulling out ... so sorry no pics.

Best wishes, Kim

Hope it all works out ok.
Be sure to watch whilst he works and know what he is doing.

Hope it all works out ok.
Be sure to watch whilst he works and know what he is doing.
Oh yee of little faith. :D :D

OK all fixed and working at last :D After a total spend of £124 on call out and parts. Didn't need a new board, the heating element had some black burn out spots on it and looked heavily caked so was replaced and a wire connecting to the motor was damaged and easily repaired. Both jobs difficult to see without stripping the machine apart and persevering. Guess these machine fault codes are not all that useful.

Conclusion, bring back the top loading twin tubs and make a simple washing machine without a computer program that's easy to use and disassemble and keep clean, in good working order for years and years....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back