Embossed raised letter in metal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am restoring a mangle. I have strippped it, separated it, removed the rust and coated it a few times with Hammerite one coat on rust

I would now like to pick out the raised letters and trade mark in gold before re assembling it.
They are quite worn with age but still stand out as you can see.The letters are about 1cm high.
WP_20170814_001.jpg
WP_20170814_005.jpg

I am debating whether to try coating with Hammerite gold to metal using some sort of art brush or looking for a gold felt tio that covers metal.

The problem with Hammerite is that it is like painting with treacle and may make a mess of this quite delicate work.

A felt tip does not seem capable of covering the metal although advertised to do so.

Any ideas or advice would be welcome. Thanks

Felt tip: https://www.easichalk.com/gold-uni-...MImu29v4jX1QIVor_tCh10ggseEAQYASABEgLGtPD_BwE

Attach pic of lettering

Sponsored Links
Yes I have sanded the surfaces down but more to see what they look like but now it seems like a good idea.
I will look up the Humbrol paints as they seem better than Hammerite for such a delicate job Thanks

The way that quality pinstiping is sometimes done is to paint gold size onto an area, then while it is still tacky, apply gold leaf. It is real gold, but very thin and stickers to the size. Look up a YouTube video

You could also wrap some wet and dry around a bit of wood and lightly sand off the raised area, then either paint with a brush or use a gold paint marker.

Sponsored Links
The way that quality pinstiping is sometimes done is to paint gold size onto an area, then while it is still tacky, apply gold leaf. It is real gold, but very thin and stickers to the size. Look up a YouTube video

You could also wrap some wet and dry around a bit of wood and lightly sand off the raised area, then either paint with a brush or use a gold paint marker.
Dutch Metal is a cheaper alternative to gold leaf

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back