Empty radiator.... eh?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved in to my new house and have removed two of the radiators in the house to paint behind them. I followed the correct removal instructions ensuring the manual and lockshield valves were closed and drained the water from the radiators.

I have now put the radiators back on the wall and refitted the valves and opened the bleed valve, but when I turn on the manual valve, no water runs into the radiators. What's going on???

Any suggestions, it isn't winter yet but I would like to get it sorted.

Cheers

Sam

Sponsored Links
I also think ' what's going on'
What I would do, is to remove the radiators again and attach a hose to each valve in turn just to prove the valves are operating or not.
I think a washing machine water feed pipe may fit the valve or you may have to obtain or make an adaptor to fit your hose to. I made one a few years back using a 1/2 in tap connector, well in fact I used two with clear plastic tubing between and fitted it in lieu of the radiator so I could see the flow of water and the direction of flow.
While the radiator is off I would also invert it, add some water and open the bleed valve, just to prove it can let air /water out.
I would also be asking myself the following
Is there water in the system?
Could there be a blockage?
Is there an air lock in the pipework?
I feel the problem with air locks is that air is compressible and the water creates a resistance and the pump may have difficulty moving it.
Again with the hose connected to just one open valve may be enough to clear it.
You could try increasing the pump speed
I believe combi boilers need pressurising and if yours is a combi you may have lost the pressure when opening the valves to replace the water lost.
I suppose I don't the answer but there will be one and this will give you 'food for thought'
Let us know the cause when you find out.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Hi,

Thanks for all the advise. It turned out to be the ballcock was stuck up in the water tank and the tank was dry.

Although I have water running through my system, the problem now seems to be the water pump which is making a very loud noise when pumping and getting extremely hot.

Sponsored Links
it may be the pump needs bleeding, you see that big screw in the middle of it, treat it like a radiator bleed valve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back