Emulsion cracking on internal corners

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just re-decorated my hallway . I lined the walls , filled the corners with decorators caulk from , then painted with 2 coats dulux matt emulsion .
The job is fine , apart from some annoying cracks in the paint in internal corners . Repainting doesn`t seem to get rid of them and also the corners are becoming noticably darker .
I really dont want to do the whole lot again . Is there any way to eliminate the cracking , and blend in the darker areas .

Thanks , Colin .

Sponsored Links
Colin.

It sounds like the emulsion has crazed on the caulk, you will need to lightly abrade those areas and apply an oil based undercoat before you emulsion.

With regard to those dark corners feather out the undercoat over those areas and when dry carry on with your emulsion. This method should solve your problem.

Good Luck

Dec.

what caulk did you use and did you let it fully dry before you painted over it?

becasue ive never had caulk that has cracked before (unless it was still wet)

Thanks for the replys .

I`ll try that Dec ... :D

the caulk was b+q`s own brand . I`m sure it was dry , it looks like the paint that seems to be cracking .

Thanks , Colin .

Sponsored Links
It's not uncommon for this problem to occur, it can also cause the paint system to flash, this is where the caulked areas take on a lighter colour than the walls.

Therefore I tend always to recomend that both caulks and silcones are prepainted with an oil based u/c prior to applying any waterbased product. Let me know how you get on.

Good Luck

Dec.

O.K. ...Managed to sort it out . I went over the darker areas , with some white emulsion which I had left over ,(didnt have any oil based u/c to hand , Dec) , then recoated with the finish colour .
Had to do this in quite a few areas , as the paint seemed to crack nearly every time - and then darkened when I tried to re-coat ... not sure why ...maybe it was drying too fast ???
Anyway , it looks o.k. now , so alls well...thanks for the tips... :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back