emulsion on carpet!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Aaarrrggghhh!
Up till 5 minutes ago I was painting the hall ceiling and covered the floor as I moved round.
But like a dummy I moved the ladder and unknowingly I dragged the sheet with the (full)paint tray and it has poured on the floor!!!
Rented house with carpet (not new but WAS in good condition!)!!!
What can I do?
Do not want to replace the carpet as:
1)Its hall stairs n landing!!
2)I'm skint enough!!
Am I best to let it dry (I have scrapped up what I can already) then get scrubbing or should I start scrubbing now?
Am I doomed?
What chemical,if any,will be ok to bring it up to its usual look?

HELP PLEASE(If any is available)!!

Sharon xx

Sponsored Links
Sharon...use a flat piece of board/wood/plastic etc and rub that over the paint to get as much out as possible.... then use warm water and a rag and keep dabbing it...dont soak the floor it will spread it worse.

Keep it damp overnight and hire yourself a carpet shampooer tommorow.

Can you lift a section of carpet up and take it somewhere to clean it?

Good luck!..

Oh and dont feel so bad it happens to the best of us...keep the paint tray in a corner..that way you'l less liely to knock it flying.

And remember...there no point crying over spilt silk... :rolleyes:

Thanks,

Will procceed with the cleaning at once and hope it works!
No chance of hiring a carpet shampooer as I have a fiver to last till next friday! :cry:
The ironic thing is that last week the landlord/lady offered to come and clean all carpets when I have decorated!

Better get scrubbing!

Sharon xx

Ps...I have 4 kids and for the past hour I have been on at them to steer clear of the paint,tools,ladder etc!
I am gunna have to hide it from them now out of sheer shame!! :oops:

Try and pull the carpet up Shazzer...bung it in the sink or the bath and try and run the water through the back of it.

It happens to the best of us..im sure all the painters on here have their horror stories

Mine...kicked 2.5 litres of black..I SAID BLACK gloss over an ORANGE carpet that had been laid the night before in a bingo hall...

Put a kettle of paint on the inside of a womans window cill (I was painting outside)...then closed the window..bonk..all her fresh veg covered in maggy gloss!

Put a full gallon of emulsion on a set of steps to touch up a tiny miss on a ceiling...realised it was risky..took the paint off...put it on the floor..got up the steps..touched up..got down...foot went straight in the tin and wedged in!!...I feel backwards and pulled the curtains down!

Fell over with a bucket of emulsion in my hands..poured it all over my chest..

Dropped 2.5 itres of eggshell down a stairwell..into a pond full of fish...

Put 5 litres of emulsion on a pair of steps to touchup a ceiling line..moved the steps..bang..the lot was on the floor..at 4 on a friday afternoon..the day before an official opening of the building...the paint ran under the doors in a coridoor..(that were locked!!)..and between the vinyl floor tiles..I left there at 8 that night!!

Hope thats cheered you up..it happens to us all..only difference being the pro's normally do more damage!

Sponsored Links
Yes that certainly made me laugh!
:LOL:
Makes my problem seem so trivial!
Thanks.
I did what you said earlier regarding cleaning it!
I scraped all I could up with a filling knife (first thing I got hold of as I'd been filling holes in walls!)
I then got a hot damp cloth (or 3!)
Started blotting away at it.
Worked like a treat!
Could have been worse if it was a dark carpet but its a light one (not sure if there is a regulation colour for it so I'll call it beigy,peachy,salmony coloured carpet!)
The spot actually looks clean,but perhaps too clean-thats probably the white paint!
I will persevere with the cleaning (or blending it in to the carpet colour!)till I am happy with it.

If all else fails then I will save for a rug!

Cheers

Sharon xx

it happens to us all..only difference being the pro's normally do more damage!

Yeah :oops: On top shift of scaffold george said have you got it john yeah Isaid, but i hadn't, 1/2 gall of brolac pep puddles on the scaffold planks and starts to drip through the gaps in planks each drip hitting the poles on the way down and splattering all over the pews AND worst of all over the coffin that had just been put there. PANIC PANIC. Suprising wht these undertakers have in their toolkit they were scrubbin the coffin and put a coat of beeswax on in no time. 30 min later the service started luckily they wheeled the coffin out think it was dry by then though :LOL:

hope you get on ok sharron, maybe landlords insurance mite do ;)

You could always paint all the carpet!

Its happened to me occasionaly, fortunately not as bad as Zampa's stories :D , depending how big the stain is, but I have let it dry, and rubbed the paint mark with sandpaper, and rubbed it off, but if its a big area, i can only sugest shampooing it.

spice said:
Its happened to me occasionaly, fortunately not as bad as Zampa's stories :D , depending how big the stain is, but I have let it dry, and rubbed the paint mark with sandpaper, and rubbed it off, but if its a big area, i can only sugest shampooing it.

I think in this case she is going to need an industrial floor sander!

Hi,
Just letting you know that the floor is doing great.
I gave it another scrubbing with soapy water as soon as I got up this morning.
It has now dried.
The patch is about the size of the bottom of a 5L paint tin!
It really is far too clean now compared to the rest of the carpet(its in the hall, and with 4 kids that forget to take shoes off until I see them-well you can imagine the path of grime!)
I thought the carpet was actually clean before this!

So thanks for your help and almost immediate reply 'zampa'
I would have certainly rushed the cleaning process and spread it even worse over the carpet!

Till next time, bye bye!
Glossing next so will no doubt need help for next disaster!!

Sharon xx

my mate was up a ladder painting a window with his paint kettle on a hook thing to hold it on ladder hook broke, he heard a bang wondered what it was looked down and a bmw parked in the road was covered in blue gloss!

He said his brain just shut down and went into clean up mode with white spirit lol

Id have gone into bugger off quick mode!

Always risky using a kettle on a ladder..I wont risk it with old plastic ones, the handles have a habit of coming off at one end.

Once I just finnished papering a wall, my ladder was perched on a platform, it slipped off and I crashed into the wall I had just papered tearing a series of little holes in it, luckily it was embossed paper which was going to be painted, I got my caulking gun out and dissapered out of the house pretty quick.

Stepped of a ladder once straight into my tray of white emulsion.

First job i ever done, in a builders house, opened a tin of varnish and spilt it all over my nice new clean decorators sheet, luckily it was a good thick one. I was so embarressed :oops: I covered it in newspaper so no could see, imagine the mess by the time I got home. :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back