Emulsion on radiator? Colour match?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've a radiator to fit that I'm wanting to match the colour on the walls.

I've been unable to find radiator paint that can be mixed to a certain colour, so was wondering if I can just use emulsion?

I'll be using zinsser 123 as a primer and have read mixed things on emulsions peeling.

Sponsored Links
Are you going to touch the radiator, e.g. undertake the horror of draping wet washing on the rad to dry it? What temperature will the rad run at?

Are you going to touch the radiator, e.g. undertake the horror of draping wet washing on the rad to dry it? What temperature will the rad run at?
It won't have any clothing on it but it'll be run at max as its the main lounge radiator.

Sponsored Links
Bisque can match 2000 colours from the RAL and NCS range and if you want a particular shade then if you talk to them they can do that too. There is a range of pastels and iridescent colours as well as the more standard ones.
You could also buy colour matched rattle can spray for brushless finish.

I am decorator...

If you are never, ever, going to put wet clothes on the radiator, emulsion will be fine.... but if you ever hang wet clothes on it, it will be a PITA. The wet clothes will make the paint become soft.

What is the colour code for your emulsion?

You have said that you will never use the rad to dry clothes. Can you really be sure that no one else will?

I am decorator...

If you are never, ever, going to put wet clothes on the radiator, emulsion will be fine.... but if you ever hang wet clothes on it, it will be a PITA. The wet clothes will make the paint become soft.

What is the colour code for your emulsion?

You have said that you will never use the rad to dry clothes. Can you really be sure that no one else will?
I can't be sure, so i got some direct to metal paint mixed up at b and q. This should hopefully be suitable!

Thanks for your help

I'd get a spray can ( rattle can) and spray radiator. Really need to get coverage over fins and around all bits. Warm can up in hot water first.

Plenty of colour matching suppliers. WRX spray can for example. You can also get mixed eggshell and satin paints put in spray can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back