Emulsion rubbing off as I paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Painted a small w/c out last year with Wilko brand matt emulsion.

Have tried to paint again today with Dulux Kitchen paint becaase I had enough left over from the kitchen walls which I painted last week.

I washed the walls with flash lemon fresh all purpose cleaner prior to painting. With the walls dry, I've tried to paint the walls, brush painting the edges and rolling the rest.

Bizarrely the Dulux paint won't stick very well to the walls. Its rubbing off!

Do different paint brands use different chemicals?

It seems I'm going to have to some how remove the Dulux paint find some emulsion compatible with the Wilko brand.

Any suggestions welcome!

Sponsored Links
That Wilko brand is terrible, we have it throughout this house share. Can't even get blutak or Sellotape to stick to it, even tried duct tape and superglue lol. It just comes away powdery.

My advice would be sand paper in each hand, and do a Daniel Son wax on, wax off until you can see the old paint underneath, It's won't take long. Vacuum the walls and then a damp cloth to remove any excess dust.

Don't forget to wear a mask in case the Covid falls out of the cracks. out. It will be VERY dusty that stuff.

I'm inclined to agree with you on Wilko brand paint.

The Wilko non-drip gloss starts going lumpy if not used all on one job. Glossed a room out a few months back the glossed another room out last week and spent half my time digging lumps out as I brushed.

Have managed to get a coat of Dulux on the walls of the w/c so hopefully, the 2nd coat should be easier, that is if the 1st coat doesn't peel.

I got a vacuum-extracted hand sanding block, a few sheets of abrasive and a junker refurbed hoover for about £50 all together. Mine's a knockoff of Abranet stuff but it works just fine. The hoover needs emptying regularly, but I am chuffed about the lack of dust in the house from sanding. I use ear defenders as the noise of air passing through the sanding block is unpleasant.

Sponsored Links
Now on with the bathroom which has Wilco matt on the walls. Have decided to repaint with Johnston's Bathroom Easycare because the Wilco stuff streaks with the condensation.

Have painted on some watered down Crown white emulsion to act as a base prior to applying the Johnston's.

I don't think it's the previous Matt on the walls.
A massive thing with bathroom/kitchen paint or even the easycare is you need to have a fairly warm room when painting. It will also be better if you've kept the paint at room temperature rather than in a cold garage!
Crank the heat and cut the whole room in (or at least two walls) before starting rollering. This way the cutting in will have had a chance to start drying off. When you roller do it quite quickly and don't keep going over it.

Well the Johnston's Bathroom paint went on a very well over the white emulsion base and the Lime Crush colour looks well.

If no there's streaks from condensation, it was worth the effort.

I painted the kitchen in December gone with Dulux Kitchen and the Dulux applied without any bother on old Dulux so I still believe the Wilco stuff was the issue. I can get 2.5L tub of Johnston's for £16, value for money.

This article is Dulux vs Johnston's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back