England's World Cup chances

N

Newboy

As a Mancunian I was obviously delighted that 'my' team gave the Gunners a right thrashing yesterday but given the makeup of each team, I just wondered if we have a enough decent English players to even form a world cup squad.

Goals by (notice the obvious English names)

Agüero, Negredo, Fernandinho, Silva, Yaya Touré, Walcott, Mertesacker

Not forgetting Manuel Pellegrini's and Arsene Wenger

Full line up

City (to be referred to as the winners)

Pantilimon
Zabaleta
Clichy
Fernandinho
Kompany
Demichelis
Nasri
Yaya Touré
Negredo
Agüero
Silva

Gunners (henceforth known as the Losers)

Szczesny
Sagna
Monreal
Flamini
Mertesacker
Koscielny
Walcott
Ramsey
Giroud
Özil
Wilshere

Sponsored Links
World cup squad???

On the subject of the England team, infact any team, playing in international comps, the managers should be from the country of origin surely?

No-one seems to care about that.

The rules apply to players but not managers, whats that about??

With all the foreign imports our younger up and coming players are being pushed further back so I can only see the situation deteriorating,, in the 60,s-70,s 80,s90,s our leagues had a very large amount of jocks in there but then Scottish football started getting a lot of players from abroad hence pushing the Scottish kids back and look where they are now.... then again the whole FA needs ripping up and starting again with the board run by ex-pros..who know the game inside out and they should select a ENGLISH manager who has a good track record... but the current FA only pick nice yes men hence woy an the wally with the brolley... that is why brian clough never got in.......... so to answer your question it is a NO from me

that is why brian clough never got in.

Cloughy was never given a chance because he was a pig of a man. A great manager, but not a people person.
The decision makers were scared of him.

I always wanted him in charge, especially in the Birtles, Woodcock days.

Sponsored Links
Ex pros have been in charge of coaching and running academies/ centres of excellence without producing enough players of quality. The churn rate is horrendous.Knowing the game is not the same as knowing how to coach.

This is changing but the FA are not in control of that.
England have no great pedigree in the World Cup for the last 50 years despite media expectations.

As for foreign players ,they are not the main problem - look at how few English players are playing in other leagues. Quality and price of a young English player are also a factor. Also fans will not allow managers time to risk blooding players .

Q First team of non English players to win the FA cup anyone know when?

Cloughy was never given a chance because he was a pig of a man. A great manager, but not a people person.

Surely it was his people skills with players that got him success . Most of his ex players respect him.

But agree, not a 'safe pair of hands' .Shame.

Although IMO the safest pair of hands was also best manager in my time.

Bobby Robson.

Q First team of non English players to win the FA cup anyone know when?[/quote]

At a guess was it Liverpool in the 80,s when dalglish/Hansen was playing?

Micilin. ..
Q First team of non English players to win the FA cup anyone know when?

At a guess was it Liverpool in the 80,s when dalglish/Hansen was playing?
[/quote]

Yep! Good spot, a lot think it was more recent in PL era.

Zimbabwe , Denmark ,Ireland ,Scotland,Aus (ish) Wales Scotland

But England on bench .

Also look when was last English manager to win the top flight?
Not a quiz , answer below,but comment on the Post regarding having an English manager for England.I think it should but is it about best man for job or must it be on nationality?

Since 1985, two have . Last one in 91/92 season.

The England 'squad' should stay at home and save on the air fare.

Surely it was his people skills with players that got him success . Most of his ex players respect him.

As a Derby lad born and bred and a Rams fan i often bumped into Brian before the alchoholism got to him and latterly Nigel and got some great stories while stood in the isles of Sainsburys, its a well known fact and probably written down in a book somewhere that Brians players couldn't stand the bloke, wouldn't ever consider going for a drink with him but they'd run through brick walls to play for him, alas that how football used to be.

As for the comment on the wally with the brolly, lets be fair, in his defence the england job is a poisened chalice isn't it, name me one successful england manager? When Schteve left Derby as Jim Smiths assistant to go to man utd Derby went backwards and were never the same, we've had many managers since then including Nigel Clough who for his second name would of got sacked after 6 months not 4.5 years :evil:

Schteve Mac comes back, employs 2 ex Derby legends Paul Simpson and Eric Steele(goalkeeping coach) who recently was let go by Moyes at utd and he's turned round Derbys fortunes winning 6 games in a row, drawing 2 and losing once in his first 9 games, this weekend it was reported Derby were the 3rd most inform team in europe behind Bayern and Olympiakos, better than Real Madrid, Juventus and Athletico Madrid.

Schteve Mac is a better coach than he is manager, thats why we employed him as head coach and got a DOF to look after the rest and so far it seems to be working.

As for 'ol big ed' he was never in line for the england job, he said himself he wasn't the yes man the FA always want, he was just too out spoken, he says what he means and means what he says, people say he was the best england manager england never had, well we'll never know but my guess is he wouldn't of fared much better

Sure probably they will make it through the group stages but will certainly never win world cup 2014. im willing to bet my life savings on it

Love all the talk of "oooh its a tough group" so what!! The aim surely is to win it, when guess what, ur gonna come up against some tough opposition! Much as I love my country (or perhaps the one we used to have) I would hazard a guess that they are about as likely to get thru the group stages as we are of retaining the ashes.

Sponsored Links
Back