English Ivy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I moved into an house a few months back and the both sides of the garden were full of ivy and it was also climbing side of house I spent many, many hours trying to clear it, today I also realised what I thought was a shrub was a mature ivy plant I missed it before as the stem is approx 8inch wide it's a monster. I've noticed the whole area I moved to is rather green and every were seems to have some covering of in ivy so considering this I don't think I will ever be rid of it.

I've not experienced ivy before but will it die back in the winter or do I have to actively manage it and cut it back ? The mature ivy plant I have appears to be fruiting so I guess they would have seeds in so again when they fall to the ground they could be causing me a lot of bother so I would be wise to kill of the mature plant ?

Sponsored Links
Cut the stem with a gap several inches wide and use stump killer in the stump.

One thing to look out for is where the ivy has grown between bricks, roof tiles, fence posts etc. While grow it will have swollen and force things apart. While still healthy the pressure remains and the bricks tiles etc will be still held firm even though oit of place. When the ivy dies and shrinks these tiles may become loose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back