Neighbours tree coming through fence and wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have some ivy that is wild hanging over my wall from neighbours garden.
Also a small tree or large plant thing from another garden thats stem has broke through our fence and continued to grow.

I know I can cut back whats within my boundary etc but if the plant/tree dies is this ok or will I be liable. The roots are on their side and the main stems break through to ours then the ivy and whatever has establishes itself.

Im assuming if I cut right back the whole lot will die off. Well, until the evil ivy grows back anyway.

Am I within my right even if it sort of kills off then plant?

Sponsored Links
If most of the plant bulk including the main stems/trunks and roots are on the other side of your boundary, pruning back only what overhangs your land is unlikely to kill the plants. If one of the overhangs is a tree rather than a plant, you should ensure that it's not protected and that you're not in a conservation area before you touch it. If any of the plants subsequently dies and your neighbour wants to hold you liable, they would have to satisfy a court that it was the cutting that did it. I think this would be difficult and I think that the court would take into account that you were abating a nuisance caused by your neighbour's failure to maintain the plants. properly. It would though be a good idea to discuss what you intend doing with your neighbours before getting the pruning saw out.

There are sites on what percent of trees, etc., that you can cut back before you risk its life.

I have the same problem and my neighbors are jerks, but more specificallythey suffer from the sense of entitlement that a
http://www.google.com/search?client...sistic+personality+disorder&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8
gives them.
Like all personality disorders, they are unaware that they have a problem (it's ego-syntonic).

If you do the research first you can show due diligence in your pruning efforts.

Sponsored Links
cut it back, if it dies its a bonus, because then it wont grow back. ivy is tricky to kill, ive tried all sorts on my neighbours ivy and it keep returning.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back