Enquire within upon everthing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Whilst having a clean out I came across an old book entitled above.
Its about 75 years old and claims to have "a vast congregation of useful hints and recipes"
It makes fascinating reading, here is just one example from the medical section,
Hysterics-
"The fit may be prevented by the administration of twenty drops of ether. When it has taken place, open the windows, loosen the tight parts of the dress, and sprinkle cold water on the face.
A glass of wine or cold water when the patient can swallow can be helpful.
Avoid excitement and tight lacing"

It seems that hysterics was confined to the female section in those days!

Sponsored Links
This is a recipe from the same book.

Sheeps head broth

"Get your butcher to split a sheeps head in two. Remove the brains and clean the head thoroughly. Put the head in a large pan ,cover with cold water and salt and bring to the boil. Pour of water, cover again with cold water, adding two ounces of barley.
When boiling , skim and add a carrot and turnip cut into dice and two or three leeks cut small. Season and simmer for about three hours.
Half an hour before serving add one grated carrot.
Lift the head onto a hot dish, add chopped parsley to the broth and serve in a hot tureen.
The sheeps brains should then be soaked in cold water and vinegar to whiten them,and then boiled for ten minutes in boiling salted water.
Serve on toast or make into brains cakes."

Sounds tasty, eat your heart out Jamie Oliver.
If anybody wants any more recipes or useful tips I will only be to happy to oblige.

Sponsored Links
drspock said:
It seems that hysterics was confined to the female section in those days!

It may well be because the term hysteria derives from the Greek word for uterus and was possibly a condition(s) associated with this part of the body, eliminating men from the equation. It's not clear to me what the term actually means as it can be interpreted in different ways and is really quite a nebulous word.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteria gives a bit more detail for those in hysterics.

More fascinating information on the treatments for hysteria here.
A doctor would probably be struck off today...

ban-all-sheds linked article said:
...the Chattanooga, which cost $200 plus freight charges in 1904 and which, in its aggressive multi-cantilevered design, is more evocative of the Tower of London than the Pink Pussycat boutique.

bas's article also states:

Vibrators are still widely available, of course -- unless you happen to live in Alabama, Georgia and Texas, where state legislatures have banned the sale of vibrators and other "sex toys."

I am always finding new things about the USA that amaze me.

Presumably the postal authorities in Alabama, Georgia and Texas are watching out for parcels that look like this:

ban-all-sheds said:
Presumably the postal authorities in Alabama, Georgia and Texas are watching out for parcels that look like this:

:LOL:

Is this one of those guessing games?

Hmmmn...I see a witch with a big hooked nose and a large jutting knobbly chin! Am I right? :)

Sponsored Links
Back